Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do you guys keep your license plate screws from rusting?

Ekim716

Question

I hate seeing my car all keep and shiny and then having the screws that hold in the plate and plate frame look unsightly with rust. I took them off and gave them a soak in some wheel cleaner and seemed to definitely help. Is this the only solution?

I also looked into getting "plated zinc" screws but the reviews are mixed with good and bad.. I'm I the only one that even cares about this? haha

Thanks

12 answers to this question

Would these be the right dimensions for replacing the standard hex bolt that dealers use? I dont know what they are actually called or the dimensions for those those.  

Would these be the right dimensions for replacing the standard hex bolt that dealers use? I dont know what they are actually called or the dimensions for those those.

Best bet is to remove one and bring it into the store with you. Match up the size and thread pitch and select a stainless or nylon option.

Edited by SumBeach35

I have a chrome frame on my dd plate so I picked up the chrome look screw caps to cover the screws.  They don't come off unless you take them off.  

And the frame on the Vette is custom painted, so I bought the same caps, and then painted them to match the frame.  I like the covers.  Got them at Auto Zone or Advance, or even Wal Mart sells them.

I have a chrome frame on my dd plate so I picked up the chrome look screw caps to cover the screws.  They don't come off unless you take them off.  

And the frame on the Vette is custom painted, so I bought the same caps, and then painted them to match the frame.  I like the covers.  Got them at Auto Zone or Advance, or even Wal Mart sells them.

I did the same as Rich, But I put a drop of silicone sealant under the plastic cap to keep the moisture out.

-Jason