Customer Service 866.965.0400

Maintenance on Ceramic Coated Wheels

BRC

Question

Gentleman, ladies, scholars,

I have a Grand Cherokee SRT with Brembo brakes, and while I love them, they really do put out an insane amount of brake dust - which is ok, because then I know they're working! 

I have 22" matte black wheels and covered them in ceramic coating. I had no issues with the ceramic turning them shiny - which was awesome! Can you please confirm this is the correct process for cleaning them now that the ceramic coating is on? The wheels were a lot of money and I just don't want to screw them up by not properly removing the brake dust!

1) Maintenance Washes - Car Shampoo. I do this about once a week. I'm assuming Rubber and Tire cleaner is still ok to use on the wheels.

2) Waterless Wash - I do this one a week, as well, typically. I just wipe down the wheels with Waterless Wash.

Anything else I'm missing? When would I use Ceramic Boost, and do I do that AFTER I clean the wheels first, or does that act as a cleaner?

I'm sorry for any repeated questions. I've been following along on the blogs, but I haven't seen anyone with satin wheels that lays out the full process and I just wanted to be clear. 

2 answers to this question

Hi Brad, great questions!

1) For maintenance washes, I would rinse the wheels first with a strong stream from your hose or pressure washer while they are cool to the touch, then our Car Shampoo and soft Short Wheel Brush should hopefully be enough to remove any remaining dirt that the water pressure did not remove. If there is very heavy brake dust build-up (which can still occur with them being ceramic coated), you could use our Wheel Cleaner, but it shouldn't be as necessary in most cases. 

2) Waterless Wash would be fine to use on the wheels, again provided that they are cool to the touch and there isn't a large amount of brake dust build-up. If there's a lot of brake dust, you have the potential to drag around the iron particles in the towel and across the coating, which could lead to some scratching, which would be more noticeable on a black wheel.

Ceramic Boost should only be used after the wheels are fully clean, or if there was a tiny amount of surface dust on them. It's not really designed as a cleaner. Think of it almost as a Detail Spray on steroids.

Let us know if you have any other questions! :)