Customer Service 866.965.0400

Baked on dirt?

teamcrossworks

Question

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions...

I have a 2014 Volvo XC90 and I guess I was negligent over the winter because I now have what I assume is baked on "crud" that I'm having a tough time getting off. The wheels are factory painted silver and I usually just use the old Green Wheel Cleaner (still have a gallon or so) (maybe some clay) and don't have too much trouble getting them perfect.

In their present state of filth, I've tried the old wheel cleaner, the new wheel cleaner (doesn't turn purple so I believe the brake pads are organic not metallic), Revive polish, some old swirl and haze remover on a MF, prep-sol (thinking it may be a tar like substance and just plain APC. Nothing seems to break down the "crud". Using clay or my finger nail I can eventually get it off but to do all four wheels would take me forever.

Any thoughts?

Edited by teamcrossworks

12 answers to this question

I finally found the only product that seemed to get the "crud" off...  lot's and lot's of elbow grease!

I can't believe how difficult it was to get this sh*t off. The only thing I could think was that the "brine" they use for snow mixed with the brake dust and road grime creating a "hybrid crud".

I used two complete 16oz bottles of Adams Wheel Cleaner and a full bar of clay. It took me at least 3 hours a wheel (including polishing the barrels with a PC7424 / Adams Correcting Polish and sealing them with Adams Paint Sealant).

I hopefully will never be in this situation again.

Before: After two doses of wheel cleaner

post-6831-0-46966900-1494096132_thumb.jpg

post-6831-0-80307200-1494096145_thumb.jpg

post-6831-0-68839000-1494096162_thumb.jpg

Very nicely done!! Congrats on your hard work!! I've been tossing the idea around in my head about plasti-dipping the barrels. It's cheap and would allow me to peel the crud right off.

Thanks everyone!

The first "before" picture was after using a pressure washer (always do, to answer Joel) and like I said two doses of Adam's Wheel Cleaner. I tried other wheel cleaners as well and they didn't even touch the stuff. I would consider the wheel coating (Chris) but as of yet I haven't made that purchase and I'm hoping if I keep up my normal wash routine they will not get as far gone as this. Since the car is a lease it will be gone before next winter but I will certainly prep better for the season than I did this year.

My neighbors think I'm insane for spending so much time on my car so thank you for letting me share with others like me...lol

Easy fix I'll get you a link up in a minute.

I finally found the only product that seemed to get the "crud" off...  lot's and lot's of elbow grease!

I can't believe how difficult it was to get this sh*t off. The only thing I could think was that the "brine" they use for snow mixed with the brake dust and road grime creating a "hybrid crud".

I used two complete 16oz bottles of Adams Wheel Cleaner and a full bar of clay. It took me at least 3 hours a wheel (including polishing the barrels with a PC7424 / Adams Correcting Polish and sealing them with Adams Paint Sealant).

I hopefully will never be in this situation again.

Before: After two doses of wheel cleaner

I had the same problem with my wife's Land Rover. I just by chance tried some hand cleaner with pumice to remove the baked on brake dust and while still slow it worked better than any other products i tried. Good luck with it.