Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need To Strip Wash?

moons21

Question

Silly question..maybe...

If you have a car that is showing little to no signs of any protection on it, no water beading when washed or rained on, and you are going to clay bar it and do a full correction, do you really need to strip wash it?  Was debating on doing the strip wash or just a regular was since the car will be clay bar'd right after anyway... or is it a true necessity to do the strip regardless?  My daily driver sits outside and was neglected all winter from wax or protection and just wasn't sure if the strip was really needed since I don't have any strip wash left and would have to do an Adam's regular soap with Dawn as a strip.

Greg

8 answers to this question

Generally speaking, if I'm going to clay the vehicle I like to use a strip wash first to remove as much from the surface as possible. This will lengthen the life of your clay as well because it's not working to remove anything that may be removed during the strip wash. So no you don't have to but I'd like to think it's a good practice.

I learned a long time ago:  When detailing you don't ever HAVE to do anything.   It's all about resources, time and expectations.

While it would be better to strip wash it will be fine not to. Completely up to you.

I agree with doing the strip wash before a paint correction detailing session. Nd that's regardless of what you think may or may not be on the paint. Adam's SW, APC mixed with CS, or even blue Dawn (some on here dont like using it, mainly for fear of being harsh on trim or rubber...but I've used it wthout any ill effects) will accomplish the goal. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/KC1l641FzYg

Doesnt hurt to do it just to be on the safe side. The more you remove in the wash, the less ypu will be scrubbing into the paint..

To expand on your thought, Alex, the SW is meant mainly to break down and remove any wax or sealant already on the vehicle. Neither of which would you be "scrubbing into the paint." The suds do, however, help remove dirt, bugs, etc., on the car, if that's what you meant.

I vote no. To me, a completely unnecessary product. If I'm getting ready to prep for some type of protection, I'm probably gonna clay anyways. And since I know I get iron deposits I'm doing a decon. I believe in the fewest harsh chemicals/steps I can get away with on my surface.

Same concept with wheel cleaner. It blows me away that there are guys using that stuff for normal washes every time. That's some strong stuff. I know my wheels don't need that kind of sbuse.

Edited by galaxy