Customer Service 866.965.0400

New paint issues: Can't wax for 90 days!

CheyenneTransAm

Question

I had to do some body work to repair some cracks and repaint some parts of my car, too much driving like Smokey and the Bandit! Two weeks ago I finally painted (base coat, clear coat) my front spoiler, wheel spoilers, and front bumper. The bumper and rear wheel spoilers are the factory original Endura rubber, the front wheel spoilers and front spoiler are aftermarket fiberglass; I don't think the substrate material should make any difference, but I'll put it out there just in case. So the paint guru where I bought the $300/pint paint said no wax (or sealant) for 90 days. Washing is OK, polishing is OK, glaze is OK. I don't want to miss half of the summer cruise and show season because I can't wax my front bumper, but I'm afraid of the new paint getting messed up because unfortunately the nose is an area that people like to touch excessively, like when they lean all over it to look under the hood! Plus I drive the car, so I'd rather not get bug guts, water spots, etc. all over if I don't have sealant and wax on. So what do you recommend I use for PROTECTION until I can apply sealant and wax, I am counting down the days! Thank you!

Edited by CheyenneTransAm

5 answers to this question

I'm in the same boat. We were in a fender bender in our 2016 Odyssey and the front and rear bumper along with the new hood have fresh paint. I only have 1 more month to go before I'm in the clear! I will probably cave in soon. I think 60+ days is good enough.....

I went through this same thing a couple of years ago when my car was vandalized and had to be repainted. I couldn't wax the entire side for 90 days, but my car was just fine. Yours will be just fine as well.

Add to that, you'll want to polish the repainted areas when they've fully cured, anyway. I'm willing to bet the body shop left compounding swirls - just like they left them in mine. So, even if you got the odd hard water etch here and there, it'll polish right out.

If it would make you feel better, basically any product labeled "body shop safe" can be used on a freshly painted panel. So that includes detail sprays, glazes, etc.

Honestly, the worst part about a repainted panel is that it will always scratch and mar more easily than the original factory paint, so you'll have to adjust your paint correction routine from here on out. I basically have to use the finest polish / pad compound to remove all the swirls and holograms from the newer panels on my car. It's a shame, but you get used to it.