Customer Service 866.965.0400

Correcting in the sun

chipsc

Question

I have been looking at the Adams products to pick out what products I need for what I am trying to accomplish. I have been watching the videos to learn the proper wash techniques, how to use the polishers and compounds, polishes, sealants and what not. I have picked out the wash kit I want (the daily driver wash kit and added the foam gun since I am in the sun). I picked out the porter cable polisher and the Adams complete polish and pad combo to get rid of some light scratches and swirls. I think I am on the right track for the product I want and think the only thing left is the area I will be polishing my truck. I don't have a garage to pull my truck in so it will be in full sun. What do I need to do in order to use the correcting polish and finish polish with the PC and corresponding pads in the full sun or can I even use them in the full sun? I have read about heat burning through from the polishers and even hear it in the videos about heat build up so I imagine being in the sun will only increase the risk of burning through. Again, I am so new that this is just my thought and is why I am reaching out to the pros here.

12 answers to this question

I also saw a video of the finish polish being used in the full sun with the swirl killer so it made me wonder about the correcting polish. I think the finish polish is okay to use in the sun because it is a soft polish and wouldn't create as much heat as the correcting polish that is more abrasive. Is that correct or am I way off the rocker?

Disclaimer:

I consider myself a new new newbie so please don't take my thoughts as anything more than a thought until a experienced person or pro tells me it is right or corrects me. :D

I have polished and compounded in the sun with the new products, you will just have to do smaller sections at a time and pay attention to the panel heat. It would be best to wait for an overcast or cooler day. :thumbsup:

Ok here we go, on hot days and the shade is no where to be found I use this method.

Start with the side that's shaded on your truck and then you can turn it around after you are done with one side, I also carry large towels and put them on top of the paint section I want to work on to cool off the paint. Do one section at a time and you can also start early in the morning to beat the heat depending on where you live. If you want more tips tell me what color of paint your vehicle is?

Remember if you start working on a car, you can stop and finish during all hours of the day. Practice makes perfect.

Remember since you are new here chip what I recommend first when starting to detail your own car for the first time, when correcting paint use the least invasive method to start off with because you only have so much paint to work with.

I wouldn't worry about burning through paint, you will be using a orbital machine and not a rotary buffer, today's orbitals are very much safe to use.

Thank you all for the advice. I have another question now. I know the vehicle has to be clean and dry before any correction. If I follow the daily driver washing video where do I stop? My plan since I will be in full sun is the following:

- Rinse thoroughly

- Use foam gun (since in full sun)

- One bucket daily driver wash

- Claybar

- Dry with drying towel - no H2O guard yet

- correct with correcting polish and PC polisher

- use finish polish with PC polisher

- use paint sealant with PC polisher

The next wash will be using the H2O guard during the drying process

Does this sound correct, or is there something else I need to add in order to correct swirls and start a good base protectant?

Thanks again everyone for steering this newbie with lots of questions in the right direction.

Make sure you wipe off the polish residue after polishing and before applying sealant. I use Isopropal Alchohol .

Also - take your time.  You'll learn as you go if you don't rush. Have fun!

This process sounds good, but I always clay with my car dry. I know Adam has a video of claying while in the middle of a wash, but in my opinion, if you are working in direct sun, you are better off claying a dry and clean panel IMHO.

Also, I would add an IPA wipe down before the sealant. In order for the sealant to bond correctly, you need to make sure you remove all of the polishing oils from your previous step. Best way to achieve longevity is with an oil free surface. You can make your own IPA wipedown using a mixture of Rubbing alcohol and distilled water, or you could buy the "coating prep" that Adam's Polishes sells.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Thank you all for the advice. I have another question now. I know the vehicle has to be clean and dry before any correction. If I follow the daily driver washing video where do I stop? My plan since I will be in full sun is the following:

- Rinse thoroughly

- Use foam gun (since in full sun)

- One bucket daily driver wash

- Claybar

- Dry with drying towel - no H2O guard yet

- correct with correcting polish and PC polisher

- use finish polish with PC polisher

- use paint sealant with PC polisher

The next wash will be using the H2O guard during the drying process

Does this sound correct, or is there something else I need to add in order to correct swirls and start a good base protectant?

Thanks again everyone for steering this newbie with lots of questions in the right direction.

Chip, you forgot to mention the color of your car? Maybe you can post a picture of your car with said damage? Not knowing what color your car is, your plan looks very solid.

If I may add while correcting a cars finish I always wipe down every panel before I correct it to remove any dust even though the car has been washed.

Make sure you keep your pads clean, I clean them every panel.

If I may add, I don't know if you bought a Porter cable machine yet but I do offer this advice if you haven't. I know that I used one when they first came out and the PC is a great machine but the amount of vibration that it produces and it does make you tired I would recommend buy a little better machine and you can thank me later. Two reasons you can correct your car paints faster,is safe to use and less tiring.

When using your adams paint sealant make sure you let it sit for one hour before you decide to take it off. Also make sure you start early in the morning before the sun really gets up and going.

If you are polishing I would not recommend using H2O as a drying aid.  Leave that for when you are just washing.

Instead I recommend using detail spray as a drying aid.