Customer Service 866.965.0400

Paint Correction

mathews31

Question

Hopefully I don't get any rude comments like in my other post, but IDK if anyone else has experienced this but when I use my Swirl Finder Light, I usually see that my paint (After correction) is mostly free of swirls, but then when I get out into the sun I freak out, anyone else have this problem?

Also what do you guy do to minimize swirls when washing, I assumed that using the Adam's pad would minimize that but obviously I was either wrong, or am ddoing something wrong.

Edited by mathews31

16 answers to this question

You are seeing swirls immediately after polishing? Or several hours/days later after a hand wash? What Adam's Pad are you referring to? Wash Pad?

Lots of missing details here.

Not immediately as far as I can tell in the light, a few days even weeks later, but like it looks as if I never corrected it. The original wash mitt.

Blue Shampoo

Two Bucket

Edited by mathews31

Make sure you are using the light at a 45 degree angle to best see the paint (tip from Rupes' Jason Rose). And for paint inspecting indoors, use minimal or no other light source when using the Swirl Finder Light,  

Are you touching the paint at all between your correction and the time you see the swirls?

some spots yeah :X but others no...

Make sure you are using the light at a 45 degree angle to best see the paint (tip from Rupes' Jason Rose). And for paint inspecting indoors, use minimal or no other light source when using the Swirl Finder Light,  

That's a good tip, thanks. the problem is like I'll use the white led light and find nothing and then I'll just look under the yellow garage light and see swirls

Sounds like you're not correcting the paint but only filling in the errors with wax. If you're worried about the light differences, move the car after you believe you're done Correcting a section to find out for sure if it needs more work.

Sounds like you're not correcting the paint but only filling in the errors with wax. If you're worried about the light differences, move the car after you believe you're done Correcting a section to find out for sure if it needs more work.

I would wonder about that but I wasn't using wax at all when this happened. TBH I'm not even the biggest fan of wax, but perhaps something like the finishing polish did similarly to wax

I would wonder about that but I wasn't using wax at all when this happened. TBH I'm not even the biggest fan of wax, but perhaps something like the finishing polish did similarly to wax

how can u not be a fan of wax? That's the protection for your paint . Polish adds shine wax just protects the shine . I strongly urge you to rethink your approach to paint care .

how can u not be a fan of wax? That's the protection for your paint . Polish adds shine wax just protects the shine . I strongly urge you to rethink your approach to paint care .

I never wax my DD. I just use Paint Sealant and HGG and that's plenty of shine and protection. Wax isn't necessary by any means.

I feel like the sun is the best test for finding swirls and imperfections. In direct sun i like to walk around and look at it from many different angles. This light is good for indoor spot checking but the sun seems like the real test. 

I never wax my DD. I just use Paint Sealant and HGG and that's plenty of shine and protection. Wax isn't necessary by any means.

Same here.

PS, being a mostly synthetic product, tends to have longer lasting protection than (naturally based carnuba) wax. It has a much higher resistance to heat, UV, and detergents, as well. Basically, and especially for a DD, PS adds ideal levels of everyday protection, with the HGG a boost in protection and shine every 4-6 washes.

See here for more details: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27631-faq-should-i-use-wax-or-sealant-on-my-car/

Thank you Chris and Dustin because lately I have started liking wax more but, the application of it is a lot more time consuming than for example the HGG. Even the pain sealant that still needs an applicator I enjoy using more than wax and they do seem to last longer.

I am growing to like wax for it's shine but it's not extremely long lasting especially with NY driving/weather.

I also hate to say it, but after all the excitement I had to purchase a wax like Americana, I actually found that after a day of detailing I have 0 patience to apply Americana but I don't mind appying Butter Wax. I guess that's personal opinion but I definitely don't think wax is the ideal protection when the synthetics as Chris said last longer and have more protective qualities.

Pehaps this calls for an experiment! :D

Thank you Chris and Dustin because lately I have started liking wax more but, the application of it is a lot more time consuming than for example the HGG. Even the pain sealant that still needs an applicator I enjoy using more than wax and they do seem to last longer.

I am growing to like wax for it's shine but it's not extremely long lasting especially with NY driving/weather.

I also hate to say it, but after all the excitement I had to purchase a wax like Americana, I actually found that after a day of detailing I have 0 patience to apply Americana but I don't mind appying Butter Wax. I guess that's personal opinion but I definitely don't think wax is the ideal protection when the synthetics as Chris said last longer and have more protective qualities.

Pehaps this calls for an experiment! :D

You're welcome, Mat!

Get the lab coat, goggles, gloves, booties, etc....or just shorts, t-shirt, and your refreshing beverage of choice :)...and get to work! Post some pics when you're done.

Something else to consider when it comes to using wax as an "everyday" protectant, especially if your car tends to sit outside a lot, is the color of your vehicle. From your profile pic, it looks like you have a darker colored car. When in the sun, the surface temperature on dark colors can soar, causing the carnuba wax to melt and burn off pretty fast. As mentioned, PS withstands those extremes much better.

Bottom line, I highly recommend you read the article I posted above. There are often trade-offs between protection and shine. Then, what you use is up to you. Just go in eyes wide open when making your decision and Adam's won't let you down.