Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cloudy paint

dg150

Question

I bought a new lightning blue f150 a coiupole months ago. I noticed looking down the side of the truck the paint is kinda cloudy/hazed. I'm not sure if it's just the orange peel in the paint or what. I used a white polishing pad and fine polish on it. Didn't really seem to help. Would an orange pad and correcting polish make a difference or do some paint jobs just have this look to them?

24 answers to this question

First, welcome to the forum.

Let's start with pictures of the issue. This will give members a better idea of what the issue looks like.

If it is orange peel,. Correcting polish will likely help. I would suggest doing a test spot though to identify just the level of correction needed.

I don't really have a good picture showing it. It's raining now so it'll be a bit before I can get a good one. It just doesn't have a real deep reflective look to it. Even after fine polishing and Americana.

Is it a spot,area or whole side? I've been looking at the lightning blue and ruby red XLT, to me there's very little orange peel in the 9 trucks I looked at but I did notice quite a few heavy ripples near the door handles.

Edited by vobro

It is both sides of the vehicle. I've also noticed quite a few spots where it appears that the surface may have been dirty when it was painted. There's little raised areas/nipples under the paint. I took it to the dealer and they took pictures and documented it in case the paint chips over those areas. I love the color just doesn't seem to be the best paint job. It was built in the Kansas City plant. Not sure if the ones you are looking at were built in a different plant.

Here's a picture of it after a coating of Americana. You can't see the cloudiness from this angle though.

post-15886-0-30356600-1493537902_thumb.jpg

Edited by dg150

It's A very nice truck, I am myself trying to decide on exactly what truck I would like to buy. I love the lightning blue color.

If at all possible get some close ups of the junk in the paint. Quite the conundrum on if you should fix it though, a repaint would likely be needed.

I bought a new lightning blue f150 a coiupole months ago. I noticed looking down the side of the truck the paint is kinda cloudy/hazed. I'm not sure if it's just the orange peel in the paint or what. I used a white polishing pad and fine polish on it. Didn't really seem to help. Would an orange pad and correcting polish make a difference or do some paint jobs just have this look to them?

Yes I would try CP and Orange pad, remember to do a test 2X2 spot so you will know what it will take to remove the haze.

It's A very nice truck, I am myself trying to decide on exactly what truck I would like to buy. I love the lightning blue color.

If at all possible get some close ups of the junk in the paint. Quite the conundrum on if you should fix it though, a repaint would likely be needed.

I'll try to get some pictures when it stops raining and I get time to wash it. I basically just wanted to document it with the dealer in case I have issues in the future. I'd prefer not to break the factory clear coat for now.

It's the 3.5. It's a 2017 so it's got the new 2nd gen motor and 10 speed transmission. Coming from a GMC with a 6.2 it's a pretty impressive setup.

Yes I drove a '17 with the 3.5 and it's a sweet power plant for sure, I'm leaning toward the 5.0

Yes I drove a '17 with the 3.5 and it's a sweet power plant for sure, I'm leaning toward the 5.0

I also would be looking at 5.0 F150 if that's the route I go. Also considering an F250 or a 1st Gen Raptor. Can't decide what I want

I would be curious if it has to do with the aluminium body. I would be careful generating too much heat during a paint correction, this sub-strait is a new animal to us.

-Jason 

I have a flex polisher so I'll have to watch the heat. I'll be really careful on corners. It'll be about a month before I get the time to do a full detail. I used a white pad and fine machine polish without any issues. I also hit a couple places where there were scratches with an orange pad and some SIP and didn't have an issue, but they were just a few random spots.

So I finally got it cleaned up and had time to take some pictures. It's hard to get a picture showing the cloudiness. This is after h2o g&g and a coat of Americana. It is shiny but doesn't have the deep clear reflection other vehicles I've done have.

post-15886-0-03442400-1495309090_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't think it would have been repainted. Both sides are like that and I bought it right after the dealer got it. I bought it from a dealer about 15 miles from where it was assembled.

Did you do a strip wash first? That would ensure you remove any products that might've been applied before you bought it. You also didn't mention any clay and/or polish being done. Yes, I realize it's a new vehicle, but rail dust, dealer-applied products, etc., can all mess with your finish.

I washed, clayed, and went over it with fine polish the next weekend after I got it. I applied the old paint sealant to it when I was done. I think I might strip it down in a couple weeks and hit it with the correcting polish then fine polish to see of that helps.

Have you thought about bringing it to a professional detail place and ask them what they think of those areas? I would gave them do anything, but I'm sure they have seen situations like this.

I think it might just be really bad orange peel. I'm wondering if correcting polish with my flex would smooth it out at all. I'm not gonna go through the time to wet sand it. Just wanna smooth it out a bit.

My honest opinion, it's a ford lol, j/k. Honestly I've seen this problem coming on new trucks recently, it has something to do with the material used to make the bed. If your curious if the bed has been repainted you can take it to a professional detailer and ask him to measure the paint all the way around the truck but I honestly don't think that the problem.

Also next time you detail your new truck wipe it down after you wash it with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and rubbing alcohol mix. I was once asked why I never have corrected the pain on my truck when it was brand new, the reason I said I plan on keeping my truck until it dies and if I remove paint it will not last as long. Let me know how it turns out or keep up posted on your dilemma.

By the way I really like the color you have chosen.

I think it might just be really bad orange peel. I'm wondering if correcting polish with my flex would smooth it out at all. I'm not gonna go through the time to wet sand it. Just wanna smooth it out a bit.