Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfibers don't seem to absorb anymore

Drive XR7

Question

I use a set of single soft microfibers when I apply Adams Gloss and Guard. I wash them on high heat after every use. I have found that these same towels still remain nice and fluffy, but they seem to repel water. It takes some time to actually get them saturated with water. When I use the same set of towels to wipe down detail spray, it streaks and I have to wipe it several more times.

I guess it would make sense that since I am using them mostly for G&G, they would now be contaminated with G&G and would repel water.

Is it time to demote these to wheels and door jams only?

Edited by Drive XR7

15 answers to this question

I searched and found several others with the same complaint. I will try soaking in Dawn detergent for a few days and then boiling. I don't have any Microfiber Revitalizer on hand (yet!). If this doesn't resolve it, I'm afraid I'll have to demote these to dirty jobs duty and purchase new ones.

How have you been cleaning the towels after applying H2O Guard & Gloss?

Since this product is water-activated, it is importation to get the product cleaned out of the towels immediately after you are done.  Do not let the product sit in the towels and cure.

My process is to rinse them out in the sink really good with warm water, to get most of the H2O Guard & Gloss out, then spray all sides of the towel with full-strength Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener, and really work the towel in your hands to get the detergent into the fibers.  Then I rinse them out, and repeat with the Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener.  On the final rinse, I will just half rinse the towels, leaving some Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener in the towel, not a lot, just a little. I then hang the towels to dry.  Once dry, I store them in a sealed tote until I get enough for a load in the washing machine.  I wash these towels separately, and use Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener in the washing machine on hot water, with an extra rinse.

One time, I just threw them into a bucket with a few ounces of Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener, and let them soak overnight,  When I rinsed them the next morning, I could tell that the H2O Guard & Gloss had cured in the fibers of the towel, and could not be rinsed out.

Thanks guys.

Sadly I have not been washing out my towels after using G&G. Sometimes the towel will sit in the hamper for a week or two before I get to washing them. I have them all soaking in a 5 gallon bucket with some APC. Hopefully this will rinse them clean. I'll wash and hang them to dry, and re-test. If it still doesn't hold water, then they will be boiled. Sadly I probably ruined 10 towels by not cleaning them after G&G use.

I'll probably order some new towels anyway, and follow in your guys' lead and dedicate a specific color/towel to G&G.

I use a set of single soft microfibers when I apply Adams Gloss and Guard. I wash them on high heat after every use. 

As far as i know, you should refrain from washing them on high heat, and move your wash cycle to "warm". The fibers in your towel will start to melt at about 130 degrees F. That could be a possible contributing factor to your towels repelling water if all the fibers are melted. 

Seriously consider using Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener when cleaning detailing towels...

I was hesitant to purchase the Microfiber Revitalizer & Brightener at first, however after doing so I can safely say it will be the only product I use to wash my detailing towels. The amount of product and dirt it's been able to pull out of all my towels, reverting their nice white appearance, is amazing.

I had three or four towels repel water today when I went to soak them to apply H2O GG. Then I recalled seeing this thread. A thought popped into my head about how to get the towel to absorb water again. I remember like substances attract each other. With that in mind, I took a bucket of clean water and shot two sprays of H2O into it and submerged one of the towels that was repelling water. Problem solved! It soaked up water nicely. Just thought I would pass this along because like some of you I was fearing the towel would not serve much purpose any more.

I soaked my G&G towels for a few days in water, APC, and Dawn dish detergent. Then did a regular wash, and they seem to have come back to life. I bought some new towels anyway, but will reserve my old towels for G&G duty only.

What I have done to clean my towels is fill a bucket with warm water and mix it with microfiber rejuvenater and let the towels soak in there for 5-6 hours then wash them in the washing machine with microfiber rejuvenater. I usually dry them in the dryer with the heat all the way off.

Lady's and gentleman...all this while eating his daily churro! ;)

What I have done to clean my towels is fill a bucket with warm water and mix it with microfiber rejuvenater and let the towels soak in there for 5-6 hours then wash them in the washing machine with microfiber rejuvenater. I usually dry them in the dryer with the heat all the way off.