I did a wash and seal for my mother-in-law today. I have detailed her car many times, and when I started this hobby, I did full corrections for her. Over time I realized since the car is outside under massive oak trees all the time, that it was not really the best use of my time. She is happy with a clean car, and would not know a 'swirl from a squirrel'.
Today I only had 2 hours to wash and seal her car, and could not bring my full arsenal (including 100 ft. of Goodyear hose). I started with the wheels - diluted All Purpose Cleaner (1:1) for the wheel wells with the Fender Brush, Tire & Rubber Cleaner and the old blue Tire Brush for the new tires, and diluted GWC and the Wheel Brush for the wheels. While I was in the area, I also cleaned the lower parts of the car. I used the diluted All Purpose Cleaner and the Wheel Brush. Yes, that is not the most gentle method, but again, I am looking to maximize my time, and meet her expectations - a clean car. This method cleaned quickly, even with some tree contamination on the paint.
Next I mixed up Adam's Strip Wash at 2 oz. per 2 gallons of water, and used a Microfiber covered 'bone' sponge. I have used several different Adam's Wash Mitts on the car before, but as I am washing in the shade under huge oak trees, things are continually falling on the car. The stuff keep getting stuck in the fibers of the wash mitt, so I switched to the Microfiber mitt. This mitt worked well for getting more aggressive on the contamination on the roof, which needs claying. I left the Strip Wash on the car as I washed it, then reloaded the mitt, and quickly went back over the car to reactivate the suds.
I was not able to remove the nozzle from the hose, so no pool rinse. Since I could not "add water to remove water", it took 2 GWDT to get it dry. I wiped with one towel, and it was soaked at the end. Then I sprayed the car with Detail Spray, and wiped it again with the second towel.
Now on to the protection. I applied Paint Sealant by hand, using a 6" foam machine pad. I like this method, as the foam pads are easier to clean than the Microfiber applicators, and I can get a thin layer of Paint Sealant down. It hazed over in about 10 minutes, and I wiped it off and took a shower for Mother's Day lunch.
After lunch I found extra extension cords in the garage, and used my Side Kick to blow out all the leaves from the engine area, and in the doors. Since the car was sealed, the debris that was kicked up easily blown off the paint. Then applied VRT to the tires and trim to put the 'incing on the cake'.
She was beyond pleased with the clean, shiny car. I know that it could look better, but it meet her expectations.
In the fall I plan to clay the car, a one-step correction, and probably with finish with a coating. It will be more than she expects, but I will know it is well protected.
Edited by mc2hill, 14 May 2017 - 10:47 PM.