Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do NOT mix Car Shampoo

ax023

Question

Hello all,

I actually created an account to specifically post about this. 

Anyway, so Friday May 5th I applied the Liquid Paint Sealant and then Buttery Wax to my stripped washed vehicle. Totally excited. Sparkling Shine. Buttery smooth. Finally.

Come Friday May 12th, I washed my car again. However this is what I did different this time: I mixed two different "safe" soaps together......

Here's why: I had the Barrett Jackson Wash and Wax (which is actually pretty good), I was down to about 3-4oz from a 64oz bottle. So I poured 2ish ounces to my bucket, and the rest to my almost new Adams Car Shampoo 16oz bottle (I had only used it once to try it out from a Mystery Box). Shook the bottle, and poured some into my Adams Foam Gun.

I had just received a Chemical Guys Bear Claw wash mitt; used it for the first time on that wash. 

So I washed the car right? I'm all excited.... Then when I start rinsing the car to dry it, I noticed there was no beading on the surface, and there was some type of film on it, where the clean water kinda clinged onto the surface the same direction I had passed over with the wash mitt. Ran my finger over the surface, only to find squeaky clean sounds and no oily feeling from the LPS or the Buttery Wax.

Maybe it's common knowledge, so excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming Car Shampoo should not mix with anything else, much less with a soap from a different manufacture.

I'm not blaming Adams whatsoever.

And oh yeah, my brand new bottle of Car Shampoo is wasted.....

Anyway, that's what i'm assuming happened and why my sealant and wax came off. That's the only different thing I did for the washing routine, besides the fact that I used a new wash mitt, which I highly doubt was the cause of it.

So, just a word of caution.

Happy Detailing everyone!

13 answers to this question

Sorry to read this but thanks for taking the time to warn the rest of us about your experience.  I know that I'm pretty new to detailing and, as such, I definitely appreciate any & all info - both positive (things that worked well) and negative (things that didn't).  

Edited by slapshot87

Hello all,

I actually created an account to specifically post about this.

Anyway, so Friday May 5th I applied the Liquid Paint Sealant and then Buttery Wax to my stripped washed vehicle. Totally excited. Sparkling Shine. Buttery smooth. Finally.

Come Friday May 12th, I washed my car again. However this is what I did different this time: I mixed two different "safe" soaps together......

Here's why: I had the Barrett Jackson Wash and Wax (which is actually pretty good), I was down to about 3-4oz from a 64oz bottle. So I poured 2ish ounces to my bucket, and the rest to my almost new Adams Car Shampoo 16oz bottle (I had only used it once to try it out from a Mystery Box). Shook the bottle, and poured some into my Adams Foam Gun.

I had just received a Chemical Guys Bear Claw wash mitt; used it for the first time on that wash.

So I washed the car right? I'm all excited.... Then when I start rinsing the car to dry it, I noticed there was no beading on the surface, and there was some type of film on it, where the clean water kinda clinged onto the surface the same direction I had passed over with the wash mitt. Ran my finger over the surface, only to find squeaky clean sounds and no oily feeling from the LPS or the Buttery Wax.

Maybe it's common knowledge, so excuse my ignorance, but I'm assuming Car Shampoo should not mix with anything else, much less with a soap from a different manufacture.

I'm not blaming Adams whatsoever.

And oh yeah, my brand new bottle of Car Shampoo is wasted.....

Anyway, that's what i'm assuming happened and why my sealant and wax came off. That's the only different thing I did for the washing routine, besides the fact that I used a new wash mitt, which I highly doubt was the cause of it.

So, just a word of caution.

Happy Detailing everyone!

For the strip wash, did you use Adam's strip wash or APC in a car wash?

I only ask because after using strip wash on my coated car, I noticed I had no beading and after applying a sealant I still had no beading. It's just my opinion but the Adam's strip wash seemed to leave an invisible layer of residue that prohibited water beading and stopped anything from bonding to it. A week later I washed it again and the residue had dissipated and was able to successfully apply sealant after a wash. Before the sealant application I had beading and sheeting of water. My guess is sufactants aren't completely washed away which causes the issue. If your polishing you would never see this. This is all just my guess but I'll be sticking to car shampoo and APC for strip washing in the future.

For the strip wash, did you use Adam's strip wash or APC in a car wash?

I only ask because after using strip wash on my coated car, I noticed I had no beading and after applying a sealant I still had no beading. It's just my opinion but the Adam's strip wash seemed to leave an invisible layer of residue that prohibited water beading and stopped anything from bonding to it. A week later I washed it again and the residue had dissipated and was able to successfully apply sealant after a wash. Before the sealant application I had beading and sheeting of water. My guess is sufactants aren't completely washed away which causes the issue. If your polishing you would never see this. This is all just my guess but I'll be sticking to car shampoo and APC for strip washing in the future.

I don't have any Strip Wash, so I improvised by adding some APC into the foam gun.

still trying to figure out why you would do this?  seriously, why would you take what is considered one of the best, if not the best, car wash soap, and pollute it?  

this is akin to saying "i had about 2 oz of cutty sark left, but decided to pour it in my bottle of Suntory."  

So I poured 2ish ounces to my bucket, and the rest to my almost new Adams Car Shampoo 16oz bottle (I had only used it once to try it out from a Mystery Box).

Sorry you had these issues Axel, but I do not believe our Car Shampoo was the culprit. It is pH neutral and designed specifically to not remove any wax or sealant protection. I have not used the other product, so I cannot comment about whether there would be an adverse reaction by mixing it with another product. If their Wash & Wax is similar to ours, it may take a day for the beading to return, as it cures into the clear coat after the wash - our Wash & Wax has some SiO2 ceramic in it, so it can behave as more of a sheeting of water with the first rinse of the vehicle when using it, but I cannot say if their product works in a similar manner.

Did you thoroughly clean out your foam gun after the first use? You might have had residual in it that may have caused some sealant removal. 

I was also thinking the same thing since he said he had APC in the foam gun before.

Edited by BluedogGMC

Thanks for the warning. 

Mixing chemicals is a lot like playing the lottery. You'll lose most of the time.

It's important to note that chemicals today are designed with VERY specific tolerances and purposes. Devaition from these tolerances usually results in poorer performance. 

I wouldn't give up on mixing chemicals for experimentation purposes. But I also wouldn't use experimental chemicals on my pride and joy, either. Good luck!