Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coating Done! My Thoughts, Observations, and a couple Questions.

galaxy

Question

So after many stupid threads (started by me), repeat questions, and sleepless nights, I finally got my coating done this weekend. So in no particular order, here's some of my thoughts and observances, and a couple easy questions (sorry for the novel)...

-Much, much, much easier than I had it built up to be in my brain. If detailers were rated on a scale of 1 to 10 with Adam or Mike Phillips being a 10, I'd proudly (and maybe a little arrogantly) claim a rock solid 7 (maybe a soft 8) for my eye and capabilities. Having stated that it's easier than I built it up to be, I still say this job/product requires that "eye" for being able to see paint, see paint surface, and see product that most of us have. I would probably say this is not a product for the random weekend warrior that barely gets by at keeping their car cleaned and waxed.

-The learning curve for applying this stuff and getting it right is not as steep as I thought it would be. A couple panels/sections into the job and I pretty much had it down. Three panels in, I had a technique that was working well for me. I did end up with a few, very minor blotchy spots that maybe could use leveling (more to come on that), but doing this one car was enough to work the bugs out. Now that I know what exactly to look for, next car would come out perfect. Note however, it's far from just throwing down a coat of wax and buffing it off. That's not to scare anyone away from going coating, just an opinion.

-The appearance is nothing short of amazing. As always, surface prep is key. Enough on that. I've never quite experienced the illusion of having a shiny layer of something melted over the car until now. For those of us that know and are familiar with how different products produce a different appearance to the finish, I'd have to say this leans more towards the carnuba type appearance. It doesn't have that synthetic appearance like some sealants and synthetic waxes do. Just deep deep glossy. Very clear.

-The Boost is not all that user friendly. It is nothing like using Detail Spray or Waterless Wash. It will not wipe away streak free. You need to watch what you're doing and buff it away to leave a streak free finish. After the Boost treatment, I still found slight blotchy spots. They cleaned up with a reapplication of Boost, but were still there none the less. I think my very next soap & bucket wash will level out any blotchy spots remaining from the Boost. Not a concern, just a note.

-I caught many high and/or blotchy spots from the coating as I went along, and after final inspection, immediately following the coating application. Without any other tips or guidance, I decided to level these out by using a reapplication of coating. This worked quite wonderfully. Reapplying another layer of coating on these spots, letting it flash, and then wiping down seemed to act like its own solvent and leveled them right out.

-Flashing...I did my coating in a well ventilated garage, zero direct sun light, on a 78-80 degree day. My application was flashing (visible rainbow) almost immediately. There was no waiting 20 seconds to a minute to get the rainbow...it came quick. Caught me off guard at first, BUT, it was always manageable.

-So here's the first question...Once there was a complete rainbow on the applied section (about 2'x2' at a time), I started wiping. I did not buff, I simply wiped the rainbow away. I relate it to trying to evenly spread a layer of some type of oily film or something; that's the best description I got. Except for the very light high spots I mentioned earlier, it turned out perfect. I assume this is correct? I didn't wipe to early? Or wipe away too much product? Of note, the light, blotchy, high spots I left (and there's only a couple at best) were from where my rag changed directions. Now I know exactly what to look for the next time.

-Question two...how often do you guys reapply Boost? When you feel like it? Kinda like using G&G or some other spray wax?

-Have heard others mention stay away from products like Detail Spray, G&G, etc, just because these tend to mask the benefits of a coating since they leave something on the surface. If true, are you guys using Waterless Wash like/in place of a detail spray/quick detailer for touch up spots? From what I know of this product, it won't leave much of anything on the surface like the others and therefore not much risk of it covering the benefits of the coating.

-Kind of off subject, but my edgeless grey towels are still my favorite. Enjoyed them much much more for this duty than single or double soft towels.

-How much use are you guys getting out of a bottle? It feels like quite a bit still in there. Certainly enough to do one more vehicle. The only thing I'm unsure of with this product is how much to use. Unlike trying to put down a layer of wax as thin as possible, this seems to spread the same no matter what. And with mine flashing so fast, I could clearly discern complete, even coverage, but could never truly discern how thick a layer I was putting down; if that makes any sense.

21 answers to this question

I was able to coat two, four door cars and still have some coating left in the bottle. They are not my cars but I take care of them. They sit out 24/7 so when I wash them again ( 1 to 2 months later) I will apply the Boost.

When applying I put about three drops on the applicator and spread over a 2x2 area. I did notice that it rainbowed quickly. If I left it on too long it became hard to wipe off. The rainbow appeared at maybe 15 seconds or so. I used light pressure to wipe off the product.

I was a little anxious when applying the coating but found that is super easy to apply. The prep work is the most important part of the process.

-Have heard others mention stay away from products like Detail Spray, G&G, etc, just because these tend to mask the benefits of a coating since they leave something on the surface. If true, are you guys using Waterless Wash like/in place of a detail spray/quick detailer for touch up spots? From what I know of this product, it won't leave much of anything on the surface like the others and therefore not much risk of it covering the benefits

I can't say for sure in regards to the actual Adam's coating, but I have another brand ceramic coating on my car and I use detail spray regularly. I've never noticed any changes in the hydrophobic properties of the coating, I don't believe detail spray is something that remains on the surface for that long of a time such as a wax or sealant would. I haven't on the other hand tried G&G, but I know people who have coated cars that use it with no problems.

It is. I'm a horrible picture taker. The whole car just has that wet appearance like in that closeup shot. It's hard to describe, but different from any wax appearance I've ever had.

Hasn't it been stated on here to level high spots with Brilliant Glaze?

I thought so...so I did.  I only had a couple very minor blotchy spots.  Brilliant Glaze took them right off with even the most lightest of rubbing.  Safe to assume Brilliant Glaze doesn't damage the coating?  I went back over it immediately with Boost.  Thoughts?  The Brilliant Glaze took the high spots off so easily it almost has me concerned. 

Edited by galaxy

Galaxy, I've coated 5 cars now.

The most cars I've done with one bottle is 3. A 280 Mercedes, Pontiac Solstice, and a Trailblazer SS. It has been going pretty far.

As far as how often to boost. I'm only going to do it every six months. I'm doing my maintenance with full washes with wash and wax.

This past 4th of July weekend I finally was able to finish my coatings I did wheels, trim and paint now.  It was quite easy overall I agree the hard part is actually the prep work for each.  I started on Memorial day weekend doing the wheels and trim and then didn't have time until now to do the paint.  I used a few days between those dates to polish the paint as the car does not go anywhere any how often so I didn't have to polish again.  Now I found that while doing the trim the best tip I can give (I didn't see anyone else give this out if they did then I agree with them) is I used the Adam's Interior Detailing Swabs as applicators when doing the trim in tight spots.  It worked well around the arms of the wipers around the mirrors along the trim around the windows.  This is plastic so I did it I had a few spot of trim that was a vinyl/rubber substance and I did not apply any coating on them not sure it would work on that but the plastic parts look great.  Wheels were easy no tips I could give other than wear gloves or you will have dirty hands for a few days until it all washes off.  

Another update. I did my first traditional hose/bucket wash on the car the other day. I have never in all my years detailing cars ever ever ever seen water act the way it did. I can't even describe it. No words to describe how it danced and ran off the car. The word sheeting doesn't do it justice.

Another update. I did my first traditional hose/bucket wash on the car the other day. I have never in all my years detailing cars ever ever ever seen water act the way it did. I can't even describe it. No words to describe how it danced and ran off the car. The word sheeting doesn't do it justice.

Coatings make the washing and drying process sooo much easier

I'm alternating using Wash & Wax as the vehicle's Car Shampoo and Ceramic Boost every wash. I got less than two months from Ceramic Boost being applied to a vehicle on bare paint. With four daily driver's here at the house, I'm luck to wash one of them every other weekend.

I've gotten three vehicles Ceramic Coated with one bottle of Paint Coating.

Jon, thanks very much for taking the time to post pics and all of your thoughts about the ceramic coatings.  As someone who just ordered the coatings, I was feeling very apprehensive about the process.  Your post made me feel much better about it.

Texas Moe. The only thing I'd add to this is be careful getting the boost on any glass. It is somewhat difficult to get back off.

I've done 5 vehicles now and that is the most difficult part.