Customer Service 866.965.0400

Airstream Cleaning

hanno627@gmail.com

Question

15 answers to this question

Hey bob welcome to the forum, go check out the video section for hints and tips. I would wash the airstream and treat it just like a cars finish because it has a clear coat on it.

Wash

Decontamination with a clay bar

Depending on the condition if it's clean I would use a Adams Sealer

Then I would throw on a coat of Americana or Patriot wax.

Keep in mind if the clear needs to be cleaned up you would have to do correcting polish depending on your needs.

And if you have time I would definately look int a adams coating since it will always be in the sun.

Edited by ocdrifter

A gallon of everyghing, ~50 Double Softs, and a 10ft ladder. That thing is HUGE!

P.S. Post some pics when you're done. It's gonna look great.

P.P.S. Welcome to the addiction!

Edited by falcaineer

Hey bob welcome to the forum, go check out the video section for hints and tips. I would wash the airstream and treat it just like a cars finish because it has a clear coat on it.

Wash

Decontamination with a clay bar

Depending on the condition if it's clean I would use a Adams Sealer

Then I would throw on a coat of Americana or Patriot wax.

Keep in mind if the clear needs to be cleaned up you would have to do correcting polish depending on your needs.

And if you have time I would definately look int a adams coating since it will always be in the sun.

Would you use a product like Liquid Paint Sealant? What kind of protection does this provide? The trailer is stored outside. Thanks!

Was the trailer clear coated when manufactured or after? Reason I ask is some folks use metal polish with towels wrapped around a polisher on them. (Not pretty, but it works!) Presumably that would imply those trailers are not clear coated. 

Was the trailer clear coated when manufactured or after? Reason I ask is some folks use metal polish with towels wrapped around a polisher on them. (Not pretty, but it works!) Presumably that would imply those trailers are not clear coated. 

Older Airstreams did not have clear coated aluminum and these can be polished to a high shine with metal polish. I'm not sure when they started using clear coated aluminum panels but my 2009 has them. They are clear coated at the factory that makes the panels, Alcoa I think.

Older Airstreams did not have clear coated aluminum and these can be polished to a high shine with metal polish. I'm not sure when they started using clear coated aluminum panels but my 2009 has them. They are clear coated at the factory that makes the panels, Alcoa I think.

Interesting...that explains it!

Paint Sealant sounds like a really good approach. It applies very nicely by machine and is reasonably durable. You can top it with wax, Guard & Gloss...if you like.

This will provide you six plus months of protection as long as you maintain t every few months, also when you apply liquid paint sealant make sure you leave it on each panel minimum one hour, that way it gives you better durability and longer lasting.

Would you use a product like Liquid Paint Sealant? What kind of protection does this provide? The trailer is stored outside. Thanks!

Everyone, thanks for the input. I did't realize that letting the Paint Sealant "cure" was beneficial. Perhaps I have been buffing it off too soon (within minutes).

I did start the process on the Airstream using the Paint Sealant and I also used some Buttery Wax in different areas. The Paint Sealant has more shine, seeming to "clean" better. The forecast is for rain most of the week here in PA so I will not have the opportunity to get the trailer finished but I should be able to see the results on the areas that I have completed.

I have nothing of value to add other than I took a picture of this Airstream being used as a food truck a couple of weekends ago in Piedmont Park in Atlanta because it was really shiny.

Now that's a shiny finish!

The challenge with the Airstream is the size of the surface area and all the external details. But I made some good progress over the weekend and will be back at it when the weather clears! I may have to invest in a polishing machine! My shoulder is taking a beating!

Now that's a shiny finish!

The challenge with the Airstream is the size of the surface area and all the external details. But I made some good progress over the weekend and will be back at it when the weather clears! I may have to invest in a polishing machine! My shoulder is taking a beating!

Bob's latest selfie...

post-15080-0-90931400-1495501948.jpg

P.S. Get yourself a polisher. Yesterday! :pc:

I do my offshore powerboat with a Cyclo...at times one handed. With the dual 4" pads it gets into somewhat narrow areas when moved side-to-side and covers a fair amount of real estate when moved for-aft. And it is low vibration. 

Internet searches on Airstream polishing shows many Cyclo polishers being used. It certainly is a consideration, especially if you are focusing on machine application/polishing rather than major correction.