Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay on Coating?

philhibner

Question

9 answers to this question

You can clay over a ceramic coating, the coatings bond much better to the paint, they can only be removed over time by wearing off or by polishing them off.

But I recommend presoaking the bugs with WW instead.

Edited by Nathan

Phil,

You shouldn't need to clay your paint with a coating on it. Honestly, a little waterless wash should remove them. If they are still stuck on, simply spray some WW and allow it to soften the bugs. I have found the above method to be successful.

I see you're from Midwest Ohio. I'm from Urbana/Springfield area myself. I work in Dublin.

Anyone experience negative results using clay on a coated surface? Hit a patch of bugs last night and wanted to know if it would cause any harm.

Use A LOT of lubricant though.  Coatings are not immune to marring. They won't come off, but they can be damaged.

Yeah, this happened to me at the track.  Flying clag scuffed the hood hard enough to mess up the coating.  Revive couldn't get it out so it's gonna stay until I re-apply the coating after HPDE fun.

Phil,

You shouldn't need to clay your paint with a coating on it. Honestly, a little waterless wash should remove them. If they are still stuck on, simply spray some WW and allow it to soften the bugs. I have found the above method to be successful.

I see you're from Midwest Ohio. I'm from Urbana/Springfield area myself. I work in Dublin.

I live north of Dayton about an hour!

​I agree you shouldn't need to clay the bugs, the coating makes your paint so slick WW should remove them.

I hadn't tried to remove them yet. In the past, claying worked the best, so I wanted to confirm before I tried.

I ended up using the method you guys suggested and it worked like a charm. Love this coating stuff!

I am with the 'do not use clay to remove them'  group.  

The coating is bonded to the surface, and can only be removed with mechanical abrasion, so apply a strong chemical (APC, WC, a bug-remover, etc.) to the bugs, if the other methods don't work.  With PS or wax, a bug-remover would take off the protection, but you do not have that worry with a coating.