Customer Service 866.965.0400

The "Don't Do's of Detailing" Thread

falcaineer

Admit it. Despite how easy Adam's makes it, whether you've been detailing for days or years, we've all made a mistake or two along the way. It comes with the territory. So I figured, while many threads on here contain solid advice of "How To's" and "To Do's," I thought it'd be fun to have a thread dedicated to our "Don't Do's." A catalog of lessons learned, if you will. Those things we did that we still scratch our heads over. Those little golden nuggets you want to share a laugh with over a "virtual" beverage of choice with fellow detailers. :cheers:

Now, this sort of thread is liable to stall after my post, or go on for a while, so I'll start and we'll see what happens.......

I love my Sidekick, as I proclaimed here and other threads across the forum. Awesome tool, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. :2thumbs: When I first got it, though, I was a little apprehensive about its performance. Sure, the air was blowing like crazy, as advertised, but I had to get pretty close to the car for it to be effective. I was also very deliberate, even careful, while doing so. Still, I wasn't getting good results, and I even nicked one of my rims. :angry: That is, until I came across and actually "studied" the picture of it on the Adam's site...

post-15080-0-02730900-1495504461_thumb.jpg

Pretty straightforward tool, right? The Sidekick itself, all 1.3hp of warm, filtered air. The long 12' extension cord. The comfort grip handle. The Adam's logo. The 2 nozzles...wait, what? See those black things? The rubberized cone and fan shaped nozzles, meant to focus the air stream and protect your car? Yeah, I forgot to install them. :o For...let's just say, a while...I was using the Sidekick with a small, sharp metal nub as my blower. There's a reason they're in the box.

Don't forget the nozzle!

Edited by falcaineer

Close the lids, close the lids, CLOSE THE DAMN LIDS !!!!   :o  

Adam even mentions this on a ton of his videos... my suggestion.. heed the advise and don't think you will 'just be careful'.  Not only will you waste product... the neighbors just don't want to hear that type of language.  :D

Edited by tmccoy2236

Don't move the vehicle until you have completely removed the hose slides..... :blink:

Guilty as well but also forgot my wash bucket was sitting behind the truck at the same time,until it popped out from under my front bumper.At least the grit guard survived,

Get a long enough extension cord....nothing like bragging about how great the stuff is and walking out with the extension cord to get stopped about 5 feet short of where you are working......you look REALLY smart when that happens lol.

Or move the car forward 5ft forward. Save the money for more Adam's stuff. ;):lolsmack:

P.S. Jim, I laugh because I can totally relate!

Edited by falcaineer

Get a long enough extension cord....nothing like bragging about how great the stuff is and walking out with the extension cord to get stopped about 5 feet short of where you are working......you look REALLY smart when that happens lol. 

Don't forget to get an extension cord that is of the correct wire gage. You can burn up your expensive polisher or air dryer real quick with the incorrect size!

I was going to town with the visco clay bar and then realized, umm....

There is a plastic protector on both sides of the clay bar (just removed it on one side). When I was done I had some beautiful swirl marks to show for it :(

The good news is that the Adams Correcting Polish works as advertised and I was able to remove the damage quite easily.

I was going to town with the visco clay bar and then realized, umm....

There is a plastic protector on both sides of the clay bar (just removed it on one side). When I was done I had some beautiful swirl marks to show for it :(

The good news is that the Adams Correcting Polish works as advertised and I was able to remove the damage quite easily.

I made the same mistake first time ever using it. 3 seconds after starting I realized something just didnt feel right...