Customer Service 866.965.0400

The "Don't Do's of Detailing" Thread

falcaineer

• 1 month later...

I haven't made this mistake, but figured it would be a great place to post a reminder. 

For those that use pressure washers and live in a colder climate, be sure to drain out any remaining water from your pressure washer so your pump doesn't freeze up, otherwise you'll be adding your reply to this thread.

Here's one that unfortunately my impatient self has experienced.

After using touch-up paint, even the extremely high quality ones with multiple stages, please wait the recommended 4-6 weeks before applying any wax or sealant... especially with an orbital polisher. Trust me. The new paint will come right off if it's not fully cured and you'll be back to square one or perhaps even make the chip worse.

On 11/19/2017 at 9:25 PM, falcaineer said:

Anyone want to admit they made a mistake recently? Don't worry. We are all family here!

Slap the nice soapy wash pad on top of the aerodynamically sloped roof.

Watch the nice soapy wash pad slide neatly off the other side of the aerodynamically sloped roof and into the wet gravel and dirt driveway below.

Curse colorfully, get the other wash pad.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Use a big pink or white eraser to remove dried wax from black plastic trim. 

2. Use a sample size bottle of detail spray to apply detail spray to the polishing pad when correcting paintwork. This uses less detail spray, gives a better mist, and uses less product

3. If you have accessibility to a car lift, be sure to raise the car up when polishing the lower portions of a car to save knee and back pain, if you don’t have a lift invest in a  cushioned matt to kneel on. 

4. Be sure to wash out your foam cannon after using strip wash.

5. Use the Adams sidekick to blow snow off your car. Much faster, safer and easier that using a brush/scraper 

6. Use tire and rubber cleaner to clean rubber wiper blades!!

7. Don’t use a foam cannon on a windy day, you will get foam on EVERYTHING! 

8. Remember to throw the polisher cord over your shoulder to prevent it from hitting the paint. 

9. Don’t use glass boost on the inside of your windows, do use brilliant glaze 

10. If you have leftover soap/water in your foam gun/cannon just spray it into your soap bucket 

11 hours ago, Wy_detailing said:

1. Use a big pink or white eraser to remove dried wax from black plastic trim. 

2. Use a sample size bottle of detail spray to apply detail spray to the polishing pad when correcting paintwork. This uses less detail spray, gives a better mist, and uses less product

3. If you have accessibility to a car lift, be sure to raise the car up when polishing the lower portions of a car to save knee and back pain, if you don’t have a lift invest in a  cushioned matt to kneel on. 

4. Be sure to wash out your foam cannon after using strip wash.

5. Use the Adams sidekick to blow snow off your car. Much faster, safer and easier that using a brush/scraper 

6. Use tire and rubber cleaner to clean rubber wiper blades!!

7. Don’t use a foam cannon on a windy day, you will get foam on EVERYTHING! 

8. Remember to throw the polisher cord over your shoulder to prevent it from hitting the paint. 

9. Don’t use glass boost on the inside of your windows, do use brilliant glaze 

10. If you have leftover soap/water in your foam gun/cannon just spray it into your soap bucket 

While a break from the theme of the thread, I believe most of these, unless they start with "Don't", are things you actually DO want to do, right?

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

detailing

7 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

= Don't not read this thread before you begin detailing. :lolsmack:

Fortunately it was only on the passenger window last night. Then I read this tonight, and went out to the garage to check for the plastic. Yep, sure enough there it was. Glad I read this before the weekend, or I would have been bummed. I'm sure I will have other bonehead moments, but this forum and the Adams videos should help minimize my mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

Fortunately it was only on the passenger window last night. Then I read this tonight, and went out to the garage to check for the plastic. Yep, sure enough there it was. Glad I read this before the weekend, or I would have been bummed. I'm sure I will have other bonehead moments, but this forum and the Adams videos should help minimize my mistakes. 

It's all good, Kevin. I think I've posted the most mistakes on here of anyone, or at least am a leading candidate. We're all here to help and maybe share a laugh or two along the way. :)