Customer Service 866.965.0400

The "Don't Do's of Detailing" Thread

falcaineer

On 1/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, RayS said:

Don't get Ceramic Wax on your convertible top, especially after you have spent a couple of weeks restoring to being nice and black.  You will find that the amount of effort to get CW off the top will far exceed the effort it would have taken to put the top down or tape it off first.

Ouch! 

Lucky for me 'I was learned' to tape the part by the paint, then put a drop cloth over the roof, and tape back to the first tape line.  When I did my first drop top I was prepared!

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Dkhazlett said:

Don’t select the bottle off the detail cart by color alone.  Getting ready to clean my wheels, I grabbed the odor neutralizer (blue) instead of the wheel cleaner (also blue).  Caught the error before I had the best smelling rim on my block.

Better than the other way around and almost having the worst smelling car on your block...and maybe city. 😷😆

Edited by falcaineer

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 11:47 PM, Dkhazlett said:

Don’t select the bottle off the detail cart by color alone.  Getting ready to clean my wheels, I grabbed the odor neutralizer (blue) instead of the wheel cleaner (also blue).  Caught the error before I had the best smelling rim on my block.

Yeah, I did my windows with Tire Armor instead of Glass boost.  🙄

7 hours ago, MissTamekasOwner said:

Sheesh, have you tried soaking in some diluted APC and rubbing the towel against itself? 

No, but that's after treating and washing with Microfiber Revitalizer, warm, extra rinse. The whole bit. Maybe it'll come out more in future washes.

Don't toss a FULL bottle of Coating Prep in the crate without checking if the sprayer is tight. On the bright side, it's a nice scent (at least it wasn't Wheel Cleaner), and now the plastic backside of my rear seat (laid down for space, crate set on top) and carpet in the trunk are definitely prepped for a coating 🙄😆

IMG_20190423_171831.thumb.jpg.cfecf88c6c93c825f17ccaabef280473.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I cleaned the Tahoe up real nice like the other day.  Ultra foam bath, wash, wheels, tires, and all.  It was nasty after all this stupid rain...fast forward to today, I go to do a waxing of the new Ceramic Liquid Wax,  and the surface feels very rough and not smooth.  Under further investigation i see spotting.  Long story short, the over spray of ceramic boost while hitting my wheels the other day under windy conditions, blew the boost all over the paint and windows.  It took over an hour just to clean off 3 panels so far today.

Clay did very little, while scrubbing it with Brilliant Glaze has been helpful.  So for anyone who ever doubted CB, that **** is serious!

Going to try to remove it using itself... Ceramic Boost....and will report back.

44 minutes ago, Nickfire20 said:

I cleaned the Tahoe up real nice like the other day.  Ultra foam bath, wash, wheels, tires, and all.  It was nasty after all this stupid rain...fast forward to today, I go to do a waxing of the new Ceramic Liquid Wax,  and the surface feels very rough and not smooth.  Under further investigation i see spotting.  Long story short, the over spray of ceramic boost while hitting my wheels the other day under windy conditions, blew the boost all over the paint and windows.  It took over an hour just to clean off 3 panels so far today.

Clay did very little, while scrubbing it with Brilliant Glaze has been helpful.  So for anyone who ever doubted CB, that **** is serious!

Going to try to remove it using itself... Ceramic Boost....and will report back.

Hi Nick, I stopped spraying the CB on the wheels when I realized how much was getting onto various parts, including the fabric wheel wells.  In addition, I found that my coverage was as complete as I'd like, so I have some Borderless Grey towels dedicated to CB and I spray the product on the towel and then wipe down down the wheels.  It eliminated any high spots and ensured that everything was coated without having extra items coated.  

5 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

If I may...😉🙂

Don't apply Ceramic Boost in the wind. Or be prepared to use some elbow grease.

Yup yup, both good bits of advice.  And removing CB overspray with CB, eh no good.  Brilliant glaze is best so far and this is a Ceramic Coated Tahoe.

Good learning tid bit overall and definitely a detailing DONT DO!

UPDATE...

Revive is making quick work of the overspray!

Edited by Nickfire20

• 3 months later...

Love the Don't Do's posted. I just hope I can remember them all when the time comes. 

One thing I've learned after reading this complete thread is I've finally found a positive to being colorblind. I definitely read the labels and don't go by color.

Not too sure about the smell thing though. I personally don't like putting so many different smells in one single location. 

The only thing I can add is understand the Terms and Conditions when ordering supplies online. I wasn't aware the discount didn't apply to Mystery Boxes. Boy was that an added cost I had to explain to the wife. Not only the Mystery Boxes (2) but why the discount doesn't apply.

Thanks for sharing all the corporate knowledge

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, zw470 said:

For the love of all that is holy do not open the bottle of Ceramic Spray Coating and smell it  :willy:

No. Do not. I did that when it was in testing (read: no warning label). I think my nose hairs are finally starting to grow back.

19 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Don't lose track of your precious Sidekick in the crate and let it roll out when you remove said crate from the trunk. 😡😭

I've finally come full circle from the first post on this thread.

IMG_20190929_164256.thumb.jpg.eaeaa74e6c0cc03322a3bb43ee01dd48.jpg

I'm beginning to think that the Sidekick doesn't like you or is still in payback mode from 2+ years ago and failing to read the instructions?

Don’t put your bottle of leather cleaner in the arm rest cup holder while cleaning the car, especially if you tend to forget where you left said product and then hit the folding seat release. This is the end result:EFBD0629-24EE-463C-8A04-A5F83B0572BF.thumb.jpeg.c16b9d8c49e2aef77f903389b25feed3.jpegFortunately I have several in the basement from empty bottles of product I no longer use like Undercarriage Spray, etc.

458A6FD0-E379-4802-AB1C-EEF3403AB77C.thumb.jpeg.003a49b47d0e9c26d8756fd96c73a496.jpegNow that’s much better!!  👍🏼