Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detail Spray or Waterless Wash?

jermonger69

Question

As Dustin said already, I use detail spray for post 2 bucket wash drying.  I have also started using it to wipe off excess solution after a rinseless wash. Waterless is left for bird bombs, or quick wipe downs if I want to try and keep the car clean on a daily basis after getting home from work and I have run out of diluted rinseless. 

I torment with the same question. But, since I just went ceramic coating, I think I'm going full waterless for a while based off the fact that ds has some wax qualities to it and will leave something on the surface. The coating left my car so deep and shiny anyways, can't imaging wanting (much less needing) anything added to it. But, they're both a complete breeze to use. If forced at gunpoint to pick only one (based off ease of use), I'd have to say waterless.

I use waterless on top of the ceramic coating and boost.  Just don't need to do much to wipe dust and pollen off that finish.  I use DS for clay bar lubrication and otherwise infrequently.

Waterless is basically pre-diluted rinseless.  Diluted at 16:1 I believe.  Now, it may not be exactly this, but I see it described as such so frequently on these forums that it seems a safe comparison ( I still hedged a bit though ).  I now use rinseless diluted in this way instead of buying more waterless and I can't tell a difference from the real waterless.

Oh, important to note that the usage is very different.  There are good videos on the site to show the two very different techniques, but the chemical can be used for both. 

Edited by Hupp2it

What I don't get is the difference between waterless wash and Rinseless wash

While I struggled with it, too, I finally figured out the difference is in the name...

Waterless Wash requires no water. Just use the product straight out of the bottle and some WW towels and you're all set. Used for light dust and dirt, as well as fingerprints. Some very minor shine added. (P.S. WW smells amazing :drool:)

Rinseless Wash requires a large bucket of water and several Double Soft Towels. Then, you can go to town, without the need to rinse after you wash the car. Perfect for a dirtier vehicle, but not the caked on stuff (you'll need to get it off the car somehow...maybe with a hose or rinse at a local self serve car wash). This seems to have more shine enhancers than the WW.

As Dustin said, diluting the RW creates a waterless wash-like solution, and at a much more economical price point. About 2-3oz added to water in the 32oz spray bottle works great. But, again, you lose the smell of the WW (Rinsless smells good, too, but not the same).

A common misconception...that used to be the case. 

The current Waterless product does have a small amount of "wax". 

Where did you read that WW has wax?

It is my understanding that there is no carnauba wax in WW.

From the product description:

How is it different than Detail Spray?

Adam's Waterless Car Wash is a more effective cleaner, and has more lubricant designed to remove larger dirt particles without causing swirls. It also has no gloss enhancers, so it leaves your paint clean but not glossy.

From Dan-the-Man:

Waterless Wash has more cleaning agents in it, and very little shine enhancement; whereas Detail Spray has a small amount of carnauba content that will extend any wax protection on the vehicle a little longer and add more shine. Both are used in similar fashion, but for cleaning of dirt and dust, Waterless Wash would be my preferred option.

Rinseless Wash and Waterless Wash are actually two unique formulas, similar but not the same, even when Rinseless is diluted down into a Waterless Wash type of mixture.

This may be a simple miscommunication. While the site says "no gloss enhancers," Dan T. overruled that in his post you referenced above (and the portion in bold corrected a post I made :)) and I think I've read similar posts from him other places. If it's not "wax" added to the WW, maybe another product or chemical is included for "very little shine enhcancement."

Dan T....:help:

As I've said in the quoted post before, the newest version of Waterless Wash does add a very small amount of shine since the formula is similar to Rinseless Wash and then tweaked, but I wouldn't really say it adds any level of protection - I use it at least twice a week on my ceramic coated daily driver and it has not affected the coating in any way, and we've been getting a TON of rain in Pennsylvania this April and May - beading and water repelling of the coating is still the same as it was 3 months ago when I put the last application of Ceramic Boost on it (it's due for another application this weekend). 

• If you want a quick and easy-to-use product that you can grab and immediately spray to clean light dirt, bugs, etc, Waterless Wash is perfect and will not build up.
  • If you want to remove some light dust from the car sitting in the garage or out at a show all day and add some great shine and a little more protection, Detail Spray has proven for years and years that it works outstanding :)
  • If you don't mind testing and mixing a little, Rinseless Wash can be diluted down to give a very similar performing product to Waterless Wash, but some just don't like the hassle of trying to mix things 'just-right', so in that case Waterless Wash is a more simple grab-and-go option. Rinseless Wash mixed into a bucket of water and several plush microfiber towels is also great for when I want a more delicate wipe-down than Waterless Wash with waffle weave towels, for instance if the vehicle is a little more dirty than I want to clean with WW, but maybe still not warranting a full 2 bucket wash/foam gun/etc. 

So in summary, use what works best for you and what you like, it's not rocket science  :D

Rinseless has been my go to product for several years. I use it diluted for touch ups, bird bombs and as a drying agent. I have been using it also to clean and hard surfaces like the dash and panels in the interior, so I have been able to replace two products with one. Plus I love the way it makes my black paint pop!

48 minutes ago, dbeckC7 said:

Guys can someone answer a question for me? If you use a Si02 based product. Would Waterless Wash be safe to use as a quick spot cleaner? Thanks guys

Yes, Waterless Wash can be used as a cleaner on Ceramic Coating or other Si02 based product.