Customer Service 866.965.0400

First time ever using a Cyclo!

kostnkost

Question

Went with finishing polish only and had amazing results on my '13 Camaro!!

My only pet peeve I had was that the pads after a while started flinging off, and had to keep the machine on the car while I shut the machine off.  Is this normal?  I assume the pads got heavier the more I used them, combined with the fact I was using the machine on 6.

Anyone else have this experience using this machine?

10 answers to this question

​Be sure that the pads are centered as best as you can get them.......

​make sure that you aren't running them too long to create excessive heat which could impact how they are sticking to the Velcro.....

​haven't had any issues with pads coming off even at higher speeds...........

Just to clarify, were the pads coming off when polishing, or only when you pulled the machine off the paint?

If just the latter, it is normal to have to keep the pads on the paint until they stop moving after you turn the machine off.  Picking the machine up off the paint when it is still running will cause the pads to fly off.

Just to clarify, were the pads coming off when polishing, or only when you pulled the machine off the paint?

If just the latter, it is normal to have to keep the pads on the paint until they stop moving after you turn the machine off.  Picking the machine up off the paint when it is still running will cause the pads to fly off.

Yes I found this out the hard way :rolleyes:

After using the pads some, I had to keep them on my car and shut the machine off to prevent this from happening.  I did notice after cleaning the pads this morning that they are starting to separate from the foam pad just slightly.  Not sure I can still use these micro fiber pads anymore because of this. 

I'm curious how many pads one would go through with just one pass.  I tried using the same microfiber ones on my camaro, but switched to the regular pads after they started to fly off.

Yes I found this out the hard way :rolleyes:

After using the pads some, I had to keep them on my car and shut the machine off to prevent this from happening.  I did notice after cleaning the pads this morning that they are starting to separate from the foam pad just slightly.  Not sure I can still use these micro fiber pads anymore because of this. 

I'm curious how many pads one would go through with just one pass.  I tried using the same microfiber ones on my camaro, but switched to the regular pads after they started to fly off.

The pad separation from the Velcro is due to the stress on the pads when they were removed from the surface of the vehicle while still spinning at a high speed.

Another reason could be what Robert mentioned above, excess heat in the pads melting the glue that holds the Velcro to the foam.

Allowing the pad to stop while still in contact with the paint, and taking care of them with careful cleaning and allowing to thoroughly air dry, and a set of pads should last many polishing sessions/vehicles.

This is my first time ever polishing any vehicle, so I guess I will chalk this up as a rookie mistake.  Here is what my pad looked like after using it for 3/4 of my camaro.  I also used a little more than half the bottle on my car, which im not sure if that's normal either.

post-12409-0-63036100-1497223778_thumb.jpg

I cant comment on the pad, as I am not sure what would have done that, someone on here will certainly be able to help you there. 

I will say you used a bunch more product than you needed to, I can get several cars out of one bottle typically. Remember, less is more with Adams. We all make that mistake the first time so your in good company. 

As for the Cyclo is self, I love mine, so smooth! 

This is my first time ever polishing any vehicle, so I guess I will chalk this up as a rookie mistake.  Here is what my pad looked like after using it for 3/4 of my camaro.  I also used a little more than half the bottle on my car, which im not sure if that's normal either.

That pad damage appears to be from the pads rubbing against each other when the orbits of the two heads on the Cyclo are closest.  My guess would be either the pads were not centered, which allowed them to touch, or those pads are a little too big.

I do not recognize the black microfiber on black foam, what brand pads are they?  The previous versions had either orange foam or white foam, with black microfiber face.  The current Adam's 4" Blue Microfiber Cutting Pads are smaller, so they will not hit each other. 

I would also like to mention that when I correct cars I use many pads for one car to avoid pad abuse and prematire ware. Let the machine do the work and, and do not apply pressure, the weight of the machine will correct the finish.

You should go through a few ounces per polishing.  So if you had the newer eight ounce bottle, half is probably about right.

As for the pads, don't forget that they're consumable.  They won't last forever.  That being said, they should last longer than once vehicle.  Check that the pad is centered up on the head of the machine and make sure it's not striking anything on the vehicle (wiper arms, handles, etc) as this can all cause damage to the pad.

I bought the machine 3 years ago, so those pads are the older Adams version pads.  I bought the package deal that came with the cyclo in 2014.  Maybe the glue dried out over that 3 year period just sitting there who knows.  I didn't use much pressure at all either, and made fully sure both pads were centered every time.

Might have to buy new microfibers if the glue dried out it seems.