Customer Service 866.965.0400

newbie getting started questions

sb66

Question

Hi everyone

I just received my first installment of Adam's products and I wanted to ask a newbie type question about the proper order.  Please bear with me as I try to get this right.

I was going to start with the shampoo - I saw the video - right in the sunlight - I am trusting him on that.

Then I was going to use the new clay bar with detail spray   ( following a drying with air and new waffle towel).   Now the next two I want to be sure about  - I have the correcting polish and the liquid paint seal.  Do I use the correcting polish then the paint seal? 

does the order of all of this sound correct?

any help would be greatly appreciated - (Sunday night cruise coming and I want to be ready)

thanks very much

Sean

Yes, the polish would be first, to fix any swirls, and then the paint sealant to protect your finish. Finally as mentioned, you can add some wax to give it further protection and bring out some shine in your car.

Welcome! Great idea in checking out the vids, they are a wealth of knowledge. Your right washing in the sun is NO problem, Adams shampoo wont cause you any problems. 

If you are planning to clay and correct the car in the same day I wouldnt even worry about drying it, just go right from the last rinse of the vehicle to the clay bar. Sometimes folks will do a quick wash after the clay bar to get all the gunk off from that. 

Also as stated you will correct before sealant, personally I would also put a wax on top of it for some better shine and a bit of added protection. That said the sealant will hold up for a good while on its own. 

Welcome to the addiction. 

The order is perfect. Some thoughts...you might consider a strip wash first vs. normal wash. It'll remove any residual waxes, sealants, etc on the car. Dress the trim with VRT before you start claying to make wiping off residue much easier. And finally, after you polish, wipe the car off with a 50/50 iso alcohol/water mix (blue waffle towels work great) to remove polish/clay residue.

Good luck, and post some pics when done!

tried the shampoo with detailer in the rinse on my wife's black cherokee - full late morning sun - amazing - no spots anywhere - dried with leaf blower and waffle towel - amazing  results - and I have not got to the polishes yet!

yes - in the video I watched he put the detailer(? maybe I am saying the wrong thing) on the car while it was still wet - wash/shampoo, rinse add detailer blow dry nooks and crannies and seams - dry with super duper waffle towel - did I mess up?  cause it looks really good if I did

another question - clay bar before correction polish - is that necessary since the correcting polish sounds like a light polishing compound and will abrade the surface?  or am I not fully understanding the correction polish?

Yes, clay before polish. Polish won't remove the contaminants the clay will; it's many for swirls, scratches, etc. If you want to feel the difference of before/after claying, put a plastic bag over your hand and lightly rub the surface. Feel any bumps?! Now, clay that area and feel it again. All better!

Edited by falcaineer

another question - clay bar before correction polish - is that necessary since the correcting polish sounds like a light polishing compound and will abrade the surface?  or am I not fully understanding the correction polish?

You definitely want to clay before polishing, it will extend the life of your polishing pads and it will make it easier to polish. Not to mention the risk of scratching your paint if the pad picks something up that was embedded into your paint.

yet another question - I apparently bought the wrong color applicator for the paint sealant - I have a blue circular head with a black handle - does anyone know if I can use that or a different applicator for the sealant?  I have a few microfiber rectangular gray pads as well.  I have gotten through clay and and correcting polish (which I may have to do again)  and I was hoping to at least get the sealant on before driving later

as always any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Sean

I not sure which foam applicator you have, but it sounds like the blue hex intended for Revive. If that or the Adam's Gray Microfiber Applicator Pads (2 Pack) were my only two choices, I'd pick the Adam's Gray Microfiber Applicator Pads.

thanks - that's what I was afraid of - I have the buttery wax on the way and should be here later today - I'd really like to have that on as well before heading out - little extra protection

you mention about posting pictures - not to sound stupid (more so than already) how do I post on this forum?

thanks

Sean

thanks - that's what I was afraid of - I have the buttery wax on the way and should be here later today - I'd really like to have that on as well before heading out - little extra protection

you mention about posting pictures - not to sound stupid (more so than already) how do I post on this forum?

thanks

Sean

Not a stupid question at all, Sean. Luckily, there's an article for that very reason: http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/2044-how-to-upload-a-picture-to-your-post/. Pretty simple, once you load some pics a few times. Don't be surprised if they upload sideways or even upside down, though. But we are used to it. Well, that or standing on our heads. :willy: Unfortunately, I still don't know the reason they load that way, but somewhere on here I think others may have cracked the code.