Customer Service 866.965.0400

Photo Contests

I was thinking it would be cool if we had like a monthly contest where members could submit photos of their cars. Maybe the winner could get a sample of detail spray or a gift card or a key chain or something along those lines. Ive seen a lot of forums run similar contests, and Im sure a lot of people would love to show off their car around here.

Just a thought....

There used to be photo contests here a LONG time ago.  Things tended to get ugly....

At that time the management didn't think it was worth the drama so nixed them.

However - we also had "themed" photo contests among the members. No prizes - just bragging rights and the duty to officiate the next contest. I really enjoyed those....

Well not to point fingers either but if you have a normal car like most of us do, you'll never get selected to win. Just look at Adam's Instagram page. They have a serious obsession with BMWs, supercars, or American muscle. They seem to be forgetting about us normal folk that make up the majority of the consumer base and are pandering to the upper class now.

But I wish they would bring back the forum contests.

I remember at the end of last year they had a "shine" contest. Forum members submitted their best shine pictures and the winner received a prize. I believe it was a foam gun as the prize last year. I'm thinking it is time for AP to hold another "shine" contest, but select the winner randomly...

I see your point, maybe there can be some rules where you can only submit your daily driver, or no pictures with watermarks allowed. IDK, just something to get people a bit more fired up about cleaning their car. 

How was the "themed" contest??

Maybe to make it a little more fair, we can do one where the winner adds a general rule to the next contest. For example he can say, only trucks, or in a gas station. Something very general so everyone gets a chance at some point. There doesnt really have to be an expensive price, just something to get people involved with the contest

I was incorrect with the prize. Last year it was a $250 gift card. It seemed to be a fairly fun contest. I agree with everyone thus far. My daily driver is a 2016 Honda Accord Touring. It is a nice car, but it wouldn't come close to winning against an old muscle car, a new muscle car, or even a classic. I think the only fair way is to post a picture with a reflection shot to be eligible to win. If you guys are interested, see the link to the contest last year.

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/31326-contest-reflect-on-this/

Thats why I think the contest should have a general rule like a setting. So if its a beach, nobody is going to try and take their fancy car to a beach just for a picture. And also the price should be a lot less so people dont get too crazy over the contest. Maybe like a 20 dollar gift card or a extra small mystery box just to get people interested. 

I was looking at the reflection contest link you posted, and it looks like black cars will have an advantage and fancy cameras too. Im thinking something small, but monthly so if you have more opportunities to win. Maybe at the end of the year, they can do a poll with all the winners of every month, and then one of them can win something bigger. 

Again, as I stated, a random draw would be the best option. No color has an advantage nor scenery. The $250 gift card makes it worth the effort to go out and take a picture. A shopping spree at Adam's worth $250 versus $20 off Patriot wax? I'm ok with a contest once or maybe twice a year. I believe the higher amount gift card (such as last year) is a much better option. Just my opinion.

Again, as I stated, a random draw would be the best option. No color has an advantage nor scenery. The $250 gift card makes it worth the effort to go out and take a picture. A shopping spree at Adam's worth $250 versus $20 off Patriot wax? I'm ok with a contest once or maybe twice a year. I believe the higher amount gift card (such as last year) is a much better option. Just my opinion.

A random winner is no different than the giveaways they do in instagram and maybe facebook. Theres no fun in that.

Remember, the purpose of this would not be to win big prices. Its just to keep the forum a bit more entertaining and motivate people to go out and use their detailing products a bit more often.

Id much rather have 12 chances of winning a small random gift or even keychain, then almost no chance at all at winning $250.

Im guessing the contests that ended up bad, had a very nice or expensive price for the winner?? Thats probably why. It should be for fun.

These contests did help help me with my photo skills.  My avatar photo is from my pictures from this thread  "September Photo Contest - Abandonment".  The theme starting me thinking about how, where, and when do a "shoot", so I learned something.

You see, that was a really cool contest. Theres actually an abandoned slaughterhouse nearby that wouldve been great for that contest. I didnt see any negativity of any kind on that thread. 

Maybe we can do them with no price. Im just not sure how many people will participate tho.

These contests did help help me with my photo skills.  My avatar photo is from my pictures from this thread  "September Photo Contest - Abandonment".  The theme starting me thinking about how, where, and when do a "shoot", so I learned something.

This is a great example of the MEMBER RUN "themed" contests we used to run. It was a lot of fun. 

The only prize was that the winner got to pick the theme for the next contest.....

Go ahead and start one. Couldn't hurt.

You can start one, but be sure to put a poll up.  What happened last time is that people would win, and then not bother to pick a theme for the next one, or didn't know how to include a poll.  It just faded away.

I'll try and post one up for next month. This month we wont have enough time to take pics, submit them, and then vote. Since I cant post on the contest forum, ill just post it in the lounge and hopefully people will participate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only got 3/4 of the way the first page, and hit "next".

I like the photo contest idea. I tend to be very active (avg almost 6 posts a day, for the last 6 yrs) on a Subaru Forester forum...and thoroughly enjoy the photo contest stuff over there. So, i felt the need to throw out some info/tips that may help one here...as many of the same Issues/problems/quarrels/etc could/used to, happen over there. 

1: Your own/personal car

2: Your own/personal photo

3: A pretty narrow theme. That way the person that lives in a random town has the same chance in heck, as the person living in one of the more photogenic parts of the US (or world...). Maybe its a location, monument, aspect of nature, a racetrack inspired idea, a before 'n' after using a particular Adam's product, throwback of when i got the car vs how it looks today, maybe a closeup/detail shot where an Adam's product did the trick, etc, etc, etc, etc.

4: Winners can't enter again for some set amount of time

5: ^^^Maybe previous entrants in general can't re enter for some set amount of time (this would only make sense to enforce later on...if you find you're having a decent turnout of entries each month)

6: Users vote. not mods or Adams themselves (in this case). Each user gets one vote, in a poll type setup.

7: ^^^^But how would they "ok" a prize then?...there's no prize (the fact that your old lady subaru auto trans got more votes then that Hellcat pic...IS the prize.)

8A: ^^^But how could my old lady subaru pic "beat" that Hellcat pic?.....are you a better photographer? did you execute the theme better? etc.

8B: ^^^But i want a darn prize anyway!!! ...then maybe there is some small prize, "ok'd" by the appropriate party, awarded to the months winner. Or maybe at the end of the year, each months winner is thrown back into a GRAND vote, for an ultimate prize, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. 

Coming from a world where people paid $500, like for the whole car, to those putting $20-30K into it purely in mods...people would be surprised how often the "big guy" loses. Just vote for who did "it" (executed the theme) best. I can only imagine the crazy variety there could be over here...compared to me looking at pics of the same 4 eras in the same model car, each month....hahaha. 

(then you have your "real" rules, as far as cheating with votes, nudity, etc, etc.)

Edited by FXTerrific

Those are essentially the same rules I posted. And I was thinking the same, it gets pretty boring to watch the same trucks on the truck forums, and the same bike on the bike forums, and the same cars on the car forums lol. I figured we would get a huge variety here, but it seems dead. Ill probably let the contest die out after this month unless I can think of something else to get people to play.

Those are essentially the same rules I posted. And I was thinking the same, it gets pretty boring to watch the same trucks on the truck forums, and the same bike on the bike forums, and the same cars on the car forums lol. I figured we would get a huge variety here, but it seems dead. Ill probably let the contest die out after this month unless I can think of something else to get people to play.

in regards to the activity...just need some "help". imo, the #gold, is in these type ideas, from my post. 

"a before 'n' after using a particular Adam's product, throwback of when i got the car vs how it looks today, maybe a closeup/detail shot where an Adam's product did the trick, etc, etc, etc, etc."

.....I was lured into purchasing product(s) by seeing pics of what they did/do to a car that was pretty much flawless already. Just effective advertising all in all. But i know myself, and many others (experience i've already gained by relaying results/info/pics to fellow Forester friends...with them turning around and making their own purchases) are quicker to pull the trigger if we see what the "regular guys are doing on regular cars"......photo contests on forums are great for that purpose. Even more so if the winner's "prize", is really just promo codes, for purchases, to pass along to their buddies. You get into win/win/win territory there...

Edited by FXTerrific