Customer Service 866.965.0400

Splotchy Stripes After Brilliant Glaze

zw470

Question

Up until today I was a huge fan of Brilliant Glaze on matte black stripes.  I had them on my Charger and after applying it they looked perfectly deep and black, no streaks whatsoever.  Tried it today on my Mustang and the results were less than stellar.

utXLUaE.jpg

As you can see, the bottom half of the center stripe looks like doo-doo.  I used Detail Spray on the remainder and it looks wonderful.  In trying to even them out I tried more Brilliant Glaze, Detail Spray, Waterless Wash, Coating Prep and as a last resort Glass Cleaner.  None of them had any effect.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by zw470

16 answers to this question

You used the wrong product!

Use brilliant glaze on gloss stripes.

Use VRT on matte stripes or use matte detailer.

First remove the screwup by wiping with APC, then use VRT to make it look good.

Plenty of posts here regarding the use of Brilliant Glaze on matte stripes, the solvents it contains (theoretically) clean the matte vinyl and give it an even and deep black look.  And as I said it worked fantastic on the matte black stripes on my Charger.  There's even an "official" video from Dylan back when he was still on the payroll where he recommends the practice.

I'm wiling to try APC, and I saw another post here suggesting Ceramic Boost for this situation.....

Plenty of posts here regarding the use of Brilliant Glaze on matte stripes, the solvents it contains (theoretically) clean the matte vinyl and give it an even and deep black look.  And as I said it worked fantastic on the matte black stripes on my Charger.  There's even an "official" video from Dylan back when he was still on the payroll where he recommends the practice.

I'm wiling to try APC, and I saw another post here suggesting Ceramic Boost for this situation.....

In the video he used brilliant glaze to clean, not to dress the stripes. I would recommend cleaning the stripes with revive hand polish, APC or brilliant glaze to remove the hazing and then dressing with VRT or matte detailer.

I had a bad experience with Ceramic Boost on my matte black vinyl.   Matte Detailer looks FANTASTIC on them.

APC to the rescue!

CZBm80O.jpg

Went out and hit the splotches with APC first thing this morning and it pretty much disappeared immediately. Wiped down that area with Detail Spray and it looks just as good as the rest of the stripes now. I don't know why Coating Prep didn't have any effect but oh well. Guess I'll have to pick up some Matte Detailer during the next sale.

Edited by zw470

APC to the rescue!

3B33AE68-8940-4B16-88EC-5957CB384481_zps

Went out and hit the splotches with APC first thing this morning and it pretty much disappeared immediately. Wiped down that area with Detail Spray and it looks just as good as the rest of the stripes now. I don't know why Coating Prep didn't have any effect but oh well. Guess I'll have to pick up some Matte Detailer during the next sale.

Glad to see you got it taken care of. APC works wonders for stuff like that, the Matte detailer should work very well for you.

In the video he used brilliant glaze to clean, not to dress the stripes. I would recommend cleaning the stripes with revive hand polish, APC or brilliant glaze to remove the hazing and then dressing with VRT or matte detailer.

1. SVRT is waaaaay too shiny in my opinion.

2. It would take a week to mask all the edges lol.

Brilliant Glaze on vinyl stripes is a thing??

Solvent + vinyl don't sound like very good bedfellows to me. But if it works and doesn't accelerate polymer decay, to each their own!