Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Paint

dskinsler83

Question

13 answers to this question

How long after something has been painted before one should strip wash, clay, polish, seal, and wax?

Double check with your Body Shop/Painter, most say 90 days before any Sealant or wax should be applied. That being said I usually don't do much to a finish until I know I can protect it when I'm done.

How long after something has been painted before one should strip wash, clay, polish, seal, and wax?

Fresh out of the factory paint is baked on so you can do whatever you want right away. From the body shop or a repaint I'd wait 90 days before doing anything besides normal washing. I do think using the brilliant glaze is okay, maybe someone else can chime in, though, it has no protection.

You can also remember anything that comes out of a body shop has been color sanded, buffed, and waxed, so be patient during your 90 days.

I agree with 90 days. I would not put ANYTHING on new paint until then. Ok to wash with regular shampoo but not Wash and Wax since it will leave some protection on the paint. No Detail Spray either!

So I'll offer a dissenting opinion, but only because the local body shop I just used did tell me something different. They have a "baker" to set the paint, similar to a factory but on a lower scale temperature wise - it looks like a metal tent that you can drive into and it surrounds the car. I talked to the owner who's been in business for 30+ years, telling him what I was going to do/use (insert Adam's plug here!). He told me because of the process his shop uses with baking the paint, I can polish, seal, etc., right away. In other words, definitely ask the shop. You may not have to wait!

You can also remember anything that comes out of a body shop has been color sanded, buffed, and waxed, so be patient during your 90 days.

They may color sand, buff, and polish, but typically most shops wouldn't put any type of wax on afterward in my experience due to the paint and clear coat curing times.

So I'll offer a dissenting opinion, but only because the local body shop I just used did tell me something different. They have a "baker" to set the paint, similar to a factory but on a lower scale temperature wise - it looks like a metal tent that you can drive into and it surrounds the car. I talked to the owner who's been in business for 30+ years, telling him what I was going to do/use (insert Adam's plug here!). He told me because of the process his shop uses with baking the paint, I can polish, seal, etc., right away. In other words, definitely ask the shop. You may not have to wait!

Absolutely this ^^^^. I always recommend to consult with the body shop that did the work. There are a few different paint manufacturers out there and each one will have specific instructions. Some shops will say 30-60 days, some may say 90 days, others may give a much lower time frame if they do bake the vehicle. I just had some door handles painted body color on my SS and he specifically told me 6 weeks for the standox paint and clear coat that they used.

Great point.  I just took my car to the body shop and they also bake the paint which means I don't have to wait!