Customer Service 866.965.0400

Swirl killer pads

Anybody else have issues with the pads lasting?

My SK mini pads have lasted 2 corrections and the backing is already peeling apart and the foam splitting. I do use the polisher on top speed but still, seems premature for what they cost. I have cleaned after each use with MFR. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Well these pads were a gift so I can't expect Adam's to replace them. I was just curious as to why they were failing early. It's good to see its not just be being hard on them, and that others have had issues as well. Next batch I buy I'll try to be a little less harsh on them.

Is it possible to over heat the pads, I know when I use my sk mini I change pads constantly and to prevent over heating. I was once told to change pads on a bigger machine to prevent excessive heat build up, so I just follow the same rule when I use any type of polisher when I'm working on any car.

Only use the SK Mini on high speed 6 for very short intervals when correcting a specific scratch or defect. All other times keep the speed no higher than 4.

During Prototype testing a couple of us were able to destroy pads and the backing plate in very short order on high speed.

Speed 4 is more than adequate to do the majority of the correction work in tight areas.

Only use the SK Mini on high speed 6 for very short intervals when correcting a specific scratch or defect. All other times keep the speed no higher than 4.

During Prototype testing a couple of us were able to destroy pads and the backing plate in very short order on high speed.

Speed 4 is more than adequate to do the majority of the correction work in tight areas.

Okay thanks, this is good to know. Would have been nice to know before myself and other people started destroying pads though, as this knowledge isn't widely known.

I ran my swirl killer mini on 6 when correcting my Yukon. It destroyed the backing plate before I could finish the just the front bumper. Now I use speed 3-4 with occasional bumps up to 5-6 when a little extra power is needed. But it's a great machine.

Edited by frosty350

The knowledge should be widely known:

I've attached a pdf

Page 3 of the Guidelines that came with the Swirl Killer Mini. On this page under Polishing it states speed 3 as generally being enough for paint correction.

Then under Cautions for use #3 states; "Ensure the max. operating speed of the pad is higher than the rated speed of the power tool."

Oh, and I took this directly off the Adam's webstore under the Swirl Killer Mini for the product description;

Most swirl mark removal can be achieved at speed setting 3 or 4 on the adjustable speed dial, with the higher speed 5 and 6 left for heavier scratches. 

Adams SK Mini Instructions Page 3.pdf

Edited by BRZN

Dave, I appreciate your help and advice. To no fault of you or Adam's, I can promise you that as an engineer that works on million dollar pieces of floating equipment, I haven't read home instruction manuals in years. I also highly doubt that few people here read the warning section in their manuals.

With that aside, it's also strange that there would be 2 additional speeds higher than what Adam's recommends for general correction. For those of us that think the faster we can get done, the faster we can move onto other things... well... it's an accident waiting to happen.

And finally, if higher speeds are "allowed" for heavier correction, then since I was working on a severely damaged bumper, why did I still destroy my pad even though I was still within Adam's operating parameters?

I guess all I'm trying to say if you're going to sell a piece of equipment that has the capability to work at high speed, then design a pad that can last.

Sorta' like why does the gas pedal in my car allow it to go 155 before the governor restricts it, when the max speed limit in my start is 70?

At some point the customer needs to be held accountable; not the machine, the distributor or the manufacturer.

Sorta' like why does the gas pedal in my car allow it to go 155 before the governor restricts it, when the max speed limit in my start is 70?

At some point the customer needs to be held accountable; not the machine, the distributor or the manufacturer.

Hahahaha Dave I'm a Republican, I understand this concept as well as the next guy. I'm not saying I'm not accountable. Perhaps the pads just need a step up in quality, at least as far as the velcro backing is concerned. Edited by Mariner

Sorry but I have to disagree with this statement! I have a couple of thousand dollars in Adams products and the products and customer service has always been fair.

I don't think "At some point the customer needs to be held accountable; not the machine, the distributor or the manufacturer" Is the type of reply Adams would post?

In the day and age of warning labels on everything I would think if the product can't handle speeds higher than 4 for extended periods of time maybe they should put a warning on the pad or package?

I see they have already replaced a couple of peoples pads which is what I would expect from them.

Have a nice day, just my humble opinion!

Any pad run full speed, or even run for too long at less than full speed, can get too hot and melt the glue between the foam and velcro, which happens with other brands of pads, too.

The instructions for the Mini SK also state:

"The Swirl Killer MINI is intended to be used for spot correction of specific areas on a vehicle where a fullsize machine polisher cannot fit. It is not designed or intended to be used to paint correct an entire vehicle. Most swirl mark removal can be achieved at speed setting 3 or 4 on the adjustable speed dial, with the higher speed 5 and 6 left for heavier scratches."

Just like most things detailing, not everything can be included in the instructions, and experience and learning are a big part of this activity.

Certainly, that's not to say a pad or batch of pads might fail prematurly, or perhaps a newer version of the pads will work better. So if you have an issue, the best thing to do is call in to Customer Service, or send an email to orders@adamspolishes.com. That way, the rep can get more info, possibly provide some advice, and most likely get your product replaced.

One more tip, if you have been running a pad fast or for a longer time, let it cool off while still attached to the machine, before trying to remove it. When the glue is hot/warm, the velcro is more likely to separate from the foam when the pad is removed.