Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Coatings--Order of Operation?

Texas Moe

Question

Looking for advice about applying the ceramic coatings efficiently.  I bought all three (paint, trim and wheel) to apply to my wife's new car.  Should I just take a long weekend and do all three at the same time?  Or should I do each one separately?

Even though we received the car with just 10 miles on the odometer, the dealership still managed to put some light scratches and swirls on the paint.  So, I'll have to do a little bit of paint correction.

3 answers to this question

Looking for advice about applying the ceramic coatings efficiently.  I bought all three (paint, trim and wheel) to apply to my wife's new car.  Should I just take a long weekend and do all three at the same time?  Or should I do each one separately?

Even though we received the car with just 10 miles on the odometer, the dealership still managed to put some light scratches and swirls on the paint.  So, I'll have to do a little bit of paint correction.

Hey Mark,

My best advice would be to apply quickly. The sooner you can protect that perfect new finish, the better off you are. I would at least do the paint and wheel coating the same weekend. Good luck.

What kind of car did you buy?!

​Mark,

​The order or sequence I applied the coats on my Corvette were:

​1.) Trim Coating - first cleaned as required then applied coating and let car sit inside a garage for 48 hours. I did the wheel wells too, as they are plastic liners, and the wheels were removed and the car was supported on jack stands.

​2.) Wheel Coating - cleaned as required, then applied coating while the tires and wheels were off the car. Did this over the course of a couple evenings after work. Again, car still in garage and on jack stands.

​3.) Polished complete car, had to remove old sealant and wax applied PRIOR to coating, and did not want to wash due to other coating applications applied 24 to 48 hours prior. Spent a lot of time performing these steps, as it again was done nightly after work, so about 5 evenings. Once that was done, I used the Coating Prep and applied the Paint Coating that Saturday morning, left car in garage through that weekend, and applied Ceramic Boost to it on Monday evening after work.

​It took me about a 7 days to complete all 3 Coating processes on mine, but I have also performed them in a 3 day time period for other vehicles which did not have as much trim to coat such as the wheel wells.

​Take your time, preparation is the key, but by starting with the trim coating, it made any "clean up" from the polishing / correcting processes that much easier.

Hope this helps!

Edited by rkj4243

Hey Mark,

My best advice would be to apply quickly. The sooner you can protect that perfect new finish, the better off you are. I would at least do the paint and wheel coating the same weekend. Good luck.

What kind of car did you buy?!

Thanks, Tyler, that's a good idea to try to do two one weekend and do the third on the next weekend.  She got a Lexus GX 460; her last GX was exactly 10 years old so it was time to trade in.

​Mark,

​The order or sequence I applied the coats on my Corvette were:

​1.) Trim Coating - first cleaned as required then applied coating and let car sit inside a garage for 48 hours. I did the wheel wells too, as they are plastic liners, and the wheels were removed and the car was supported on jack stands.

​2.) Wheel Coating - cleaned as required, then applied coating while the tires and wheels were off the car. Did this over the course of a couple evenings after work. Again, car still in garage and on jack stands.

​3.) Polished complete car, had to remove old sealant and wax applied PRIOR to coating, and did not want to wash due to other coating applications applied 24 to 48 hours prior. Spent a lot of time performing these steps, as it again was done nightly after work, so about 5 evenings. Once that was done, I used the Coating Prep and applied the Paint Coating that Saturday morning, left car in garage through that weekend, and applied Ceramic Boost to it on Monday evening after work.

​It took me about a 7 days to complete all 3 Coating processes on mine, but I have also performed them in a 3 day time period for other vehicles which did not have as much trim to coat such as the wheel wells.

​Take your time, preparation is the key, but by starting with the trim coating, it made any "clean up" from the polishing / correcting processes that much easier.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Robert.  Lots of good stuff in there.  I especially like the idea to do the trim first to make cleanup easier.  I also like the idea of doing the wheel wells.  I would have never thought about doing that.  Thanks again for taking the time to write all of that out.