• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BikeFoCO

BikeFoCO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

I have a new 2017 Mazda CX-5 that is going to get stripped, clayed, finish polished, and then topped with liquid paint sealant. My plan is to apply LSP with a DA polisher. My question is whether or not I need to be diligent about hitting rubber trim, badges, and plastic cladding with the LSP as I would with a polishing compound. 

I will be taping all surfaces prior to the finishing polish. Should I leave the tape in place before hitting it with the LSP, or is it safe for rubber and trim? I don't want to spend half of a day trying to remove stains/marks from trim and rubber.  

Thanks for the advice!

#2 Beemer

Beemer

Just a boy and his rocket.

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

I would leave the tape on.  Since you've already done the work of taping no sense in adding more work after removing the tape.

You may have to do a little touch-up after you do remove the Liq Paint Sealant and then the tape - just wipe down spots where you got a little sealant on the edge of the tape - but that is a very small thing....

• mc2hill likes this

gallery_6940_3_130102.png

#3 mc2hill

mc2hill

Master AF Detailer

• Official Product Tester
  • 7,645 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

^^^^ What Roger said!  ^^^^^

Paying for my sins of nutrition at the steps of Lanny Potts

#4 BikeFoCO

BikeFoCO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

Thank you for confirming my initial thoughts of simply leaving the sections taped after the finishing polish. 

For reference, how difficult is the LPS to remove from plastic and trim pieces if some were to sling or rub? All rubber and plastic trim is treated with VRT. 

#5 Beemer

Beemer

Just a boy and his rocket.

• Members
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

It's not hard. However - it's def easier to remove tape.

Sometimes it can take a bit of scrubbing and it's tough to not effect the paint around the trim.

gallery_6940_3_130102.png

#6 falcaineer

falcaineer

Master AF Detailer

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

I've never taped rubber and trim, just treated it with VRT before starting to clay. Makes removing any residue super easy. Plus saves time. If yo decide to do so anyway, whhat sort of tape are you planning to use? Be sure to NOT use any type that seal the edges...

Taping emblems, though, can reduce chances of damaging the pads since edges can be sharp.

#7 ocdrifter

ocdrifter

Master Blaster

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

It all depends on my mood, I concur with all the above!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users