Customer Service 866.965.0400

Engine Bay Cleaning New Silverado

thatryan

Question

Hi all,

So my beloved BMW was totaled by a 20 year old girl doing her makeup :(

Took the opportunity to change it up, and bought a 2017 Silverado. Loving the truck so far!

Does anything special need to be done when washing engine bay on these? I added some underhood LED lighting (can't believe they stopped adding that in trucks) so Ill have cover the switch on that I think.

Thanks!

post-10925-0-80707800-1502477246_thumb.jpg

post-10925-0-46366400-1502477247_thumb.jpg

post-10925-0-00379300-1502477248_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Unless you are doing some serious offroading, you should be able to clean it without a hose.  I use a Rinseless Wash in a pump-up sprayer (mixed at wash strength), and lots of cheap MF towels & some brushes.  You could do the same with Rinseless Wash mixed in a bucket.  Wipe it dry (or mostly dry), and spray with In & Out spray or VRT 'milk' (50/50 mix of VRT and distilled water). 

Nothing all that special needed on modern vehicles. Yes, I'd cover the switch for the LED's, but everything else is pretty water tight. If there's an exposed aftermarket air filter either wrap it in plastic, or remove it and plug up the air intake tube. Common sense should lead you to not spray water directly into the alternator. Thry to not get too much water into the hood liner, they fall apart pretty easily when wet.

I spray the engine bay down with water from the hose and work my way around with Adam's new Eco All Purpose Cleaner and several brushes; Wheel, Trim & Lug-nut, and different size bottle brushes. Rinse with water from the hose. I'll blow the engine and engine bay dry with my Master Blaster on the 4hp setting or with my Side Kick; then close the hood, start the vehicle and let the heat from the engine dry the rest. When everything has sufficiently dried I'll look things over, and if needed, I'll clean any areas I've missed with Brake and Parts Cleaner, or Carb Cleaner.

I just took care of the engine/engine bay in my 2013 Chevy Malibu this past Friday with the above directions:

1WKf1MP.jpg

58D2cLk.jpg