Customer Service 866.965.0400

First Timer from Wash to Wax

dpeck

Question

Patience please as I know this question has been asked a million times.  What would be a good recipe using Adams products.  Go ahead and comment or add anything I'm missing. My thought in steps are

1. Clay bar

2. Revive polish

3. Paint Sealant

4. Buttery wax

5  ?? 

I do not have any paint correction issues or swirls that I can see.  Any benefit of using the PC machine for the revive, PS and waxing?

Thanks!

Dave

18 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum Dave!

Your steps look good.  Just wash very thoroughly before claying, so you are not rubbing any dirt into the paint.  I also prefer to wash again after claying to remove the residue and any contaminates that were knocked loose but not picked up by the clay.

Using the machine polisher with the Revive is beneficial, since you will get more improvement over using it by hand.  That's not to say that you can polish by hand, but the machine is less work, and it will remove any oxidation faster, along with some minor correction that comes from the machine and white foam pad.

I also like applying the Paint Sealant with the machine, since it applies the sealant very thin, which makes residue removal very easy.

For the Buttery Wax, I would suggest applying by hand, so you can enjoy the time spent on the final step.  It removes super easy, so you don't need to worry as much about applying a thin coat.

The Adam's products are color-coded. Just use the white pad to apply the FP - it'll buff at you go - then a MF towel (e.g., SST or DST) to wipe off. Same goes for the PS, except use the grey pad. 

Be sure to post some pictures when you're done!

Thanks everyone. To clarify, use one white foam pad to apply and a clean white foam pad to buff out?

Are you talking about applying Revive or Finishing Polish? Either way, you should be using a single pad for each product.

Thanks everyone.  To clarify, use one white foam pad to apply and a clean white foam pad to buff out?

If I think what you mean no. Here, I will walk you through it. First, you put the white foam pad onto your machine, then you put 3 drops of the white finishing polish onto the white foam pad. I would also spray a shot of detail spray into the pad. Next, with the machine off, take the machine, with the pad attached to it, rub the pad over the panel that you are working on. You do this so when you start the machine product doesn't sling everywhere! Now, put the machine on the paint, at about speed 4, turn it on. This is a finishing polish so it really doesn't need long passes, they can be quicker. Just go up and down across the panel, and then left and right across the panel. Don't hold the machine in one spot for a long time, once you are done polishing turn off the machine, set it somewhere where the pad won't get contaminated. Now, all you have to do is take a polishing towel (I prefer Adams double soft towel, it really soaks up the compounds, polishes, waxes, and sealants well.) Take the towel and wipe off the residue. If any is hard to get off just spray a shot of detail spray and keep going! After you are done you have to protect the finish with something, I recommend a sealant. Good luck!

I am talking about using the finishing polish (white). I am not talking about the revive hand polish (blue).

Thanks everyone.  To clarify, use one white foam pad to apply and a clean white foam pad to buff out?

As Chris stated above, the White Foam Pad on a machine polisher would be used to apply Revive or Finishing Polish.  Since Revive is typically applied by hand, it does not have a color-coded pad for use on a machine polisher (like how the White Foam Pad coordinates with the white Finishing Polish).

Make a note of this, since the Blue Polishing Pad is for use with Heavy Correcting Compound, and has too much cut for use as a light polish/cleansing with Revive.

If you are going to use the machine, then you will want to make a few passes with the Revive, just like you would with the Finishing Polish, as shown in the videos.  It is not simply applied, then removed, like a sealant or wax.  Unless you are using it by hand as just a paint cleanser.

The residue from the polish, or the sealant, is not removed with a foam pad on a machine.  Like Chris stated, the residue is removed with a plush microfiber towel.  There simply is not enough surface area on the foam pad, and it would quickly become clogged with residue.  With a towel, you have much more surface area, and would fold it into quarters to start, then use a clean side once the current side collected too much residue.

Ok, can't figure out how to post pictures but here's what my first detail entailed including first time with PC machine.  The machine really made it much easier.  Total project from wash to finish was about 5 hours.  Yes, I'm not super anal and the paint is really excellent.  Here were the steps:

Clay

Revive with machine and white pad

Finish polish machine with white pad

Brilliant Glaze with machine with white pad

Paint Sealant- machine- Grey pad

Buttery Wax- machine white pad

Did I miss anything?  Paint seemed to be in excellent condition and shine when I started, so I didn't do the paint correction.  I wish I had the patriot or americana wax as it seems those might hold up better.  I thought the revive step really brought out the "pop" on my atomic orange Z06.   Not sure if I noticed anything additional with the finish polish.  

For the last month or two before winter, I'll use the H20 guard.

Thanks again for the input.  When I'm no longer sore from yesterday, I'll tackle my wife's car and maybe even my son's weathered 2002 Honda Accord.

Just be sure to switch pads between products. I personally like to clay, finish polish with white pad, revive by hand, paint sealant with grey and buttery with grey. Revive is more of a "pre wax cleaner" rather than a polish, and I like to do it by hand as it will turn the white pad blue as will the buttery wax will turn the white pad yellow, which is why I use the grey for that.