Customer Service 866.965.0400

Thinking of selling my Rupes MKll

Ls1transam

Question

Seriously considering selling my 15mm MKll. But it would have to be selling on a forum. No one around me really does detailing a lot it seems. I'm paranoid of getting scammed lol. On big money items do you guys require the money in your account first? Do you go through paypal? Trading 16oz bottles is one thing. If I get burned there oh well. But I can't afford to take a loss on a 399 dollar polisher. Just curious

18 answers to this question

Have used paypal for years without any issues. If you sell it on the web, insist payment through PayPal and don't ship until the funds are processed to your account. I have sold many items through PayPal and never ship until I get payment

Have used paypal for years without any issues. If you sell it on the web, insist payment through PayPal and don't ship until the funds are processed to your account. I have sold many items through PayPal and never ship until I get payment

That's what I was thinking. Just curious as to what others do.

I either request Friends and Family payment through PayPal for no fees. If the buyer balks then I tell them to pay through goods and services, plus an additional 3% to cover the fees. There's calculators online you can use to find out exactly what they need to pay to put the amount of money in your pocket that you want.

Having a good forum reputation as far as trades and sales are concerned helps you too.

So far i havent had a problem with paypal. I have it linked to a secondary bank account so I get funds faster. If you dont have it linked, it will take a few more days, so make sure you communicate that with the buyer so he doesnt think you are holding back.

Personally not a fan of Paypal from past experiences. Ill use it if I absolutely have to but try to avoid it. One thing I will do is to send a Postal Monday order here in the US. For those that dont know they are backed by the post office and you cash them at the counter. Which can work out perfectly as you can cash it and use the money to ship the item. Yes there is a fee to purchase it but no fee to cash it, so the total is actually the total that you get. 

Personally not a fan of Paypal from past experiences. Ill use it if I absolutely have to but try to avoid it. One thing I will do is to send a Postal Monday order here in the US. For those that dont know they are backed by the post office and you cash them at the counter. Which can work out perfectly as you can cash it and use the money to ship the item. Yes there is a fee to purchase it but no fee to cash it, so the total is actually the total that you get. 

But what's stopping the person from cashing the check then walking away without shipping the item? I've never used this method before as I've never had anything bad happen with paypal.

Nothing, same thing as a person closing a paypal account and walking away without sending it. It is the same issue no matter what when you want to think about people not wanting to be honest. In a via mail sale or trade there has to be a level of trust. 

But you can always contact Paypal within 180 days as long as it's a protected services transfer and get your money back if you never receive an item. I saw it happen all the time on a 4Runner forum with a guy that would sell custom roof racks for 1.5k then not ship. But I see what you mean. There absolutely has to be trust with an exchange of any kind. Luckily I like to think that most of us on here are honest folks. I know I've never had an issue during a trade or sale.

I agree on the trust part here, I have yet to see anything go bad, sometimes a little sideways but it always works out. 

As for the protected services, I do not think that you can use the friends and family money option and still be covered. I believe that coverage has some specific limitations and requirements to it. 

No the friends and family option is not protected, only the goods and services option is. There's fees to use that option, but it's protected by Paypal. Most of the burden falls on the buyer and how much they trust the seller, and whether forking up an additional 3% or so is worth the peace of mind. For big ticket items... I would think it would be.

When you cash a United States Post Office money order and you scam a person, it becomes a federal crime, then mostly likely you will be paying bubba a visit in the big house, Yikes!

But what's stopping the person from cashing the check then walking away without shipping the item? I've never used this method before as I've never had anything bad happen with paypal.

When you cash a United States Post Office money order and you scam a person, it becomes a federal crime, then mostly likely you will be paying bubba a visit in the big house, Yikes!

But how would they know it's for a service and not just a check to a person for other reasons? Does the money order institute a contract of some kind?