Customer Service 866.965.0400

General questions on product uses

marauder

Question

Wash and Wax Vs Car Shampoo. I tend to wash my car about once a week and then try with Detail Spray or Guard and Gloss. I've been using Wash and Wax each week, is that a waste? Will I cause build up? When should I use each?

Glass cleaner I have the spray bottle version, what is the advantage of the aerosol? Any differences in how they work?

Great White Drying Towel: Which side should I be driving with. One is softer and fluffier while the other has shorter fibers?

Wash Mitt vs Wash Pad. I have both, Is one better in certain locations than the other? Is one better all round?

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Hi Adam,

In my opinion you don't need to use Wash and Wax each time you wash especially if you are using Detail Spray or Guard and Gloss as your drying aid.  Both products add a layer of protection as well as shine.  The Detail Spray has a trace of wax in it and the Guard and Gloss leaves a hydrophobic layer that last a few weeks or so.  I would recommend using the Car Shampoo on a weekly basis and go with the Wash and Wax as a monthly follow up.  

Can't help with the glass cleaner as I've never used the aerosol version.  I assume it's the same product only it uses aerosol as a propellant rather than the trigger sprayer. 

Definitely use the softer side of the Great White Drying Towel.  As a rule of thumb, softer is always better to minimize potential for scratches.

Can't help with the Wash Mitt vs Wash Pad.  I don't have the Wash Pad.  I'm sure someone else will have an answer for you.  ;)

I'm going to offer a different opinion...

I tend to switch back and forth, but Wash & Wax can be used as often as you'd lika. It's not actually a wax, but a silica-based soap. Use with or without HGG.

According to the product page, the new ultra plush drying towel is actually designed to be used "thin side" down. It won't scratch or swirl, don't worry. Adam's uses high quality MF.

I use the red wash mitt, haven't tried the pads yet.

I use the regular shampoo. Every once in a while Ill use the wash n wax for a little extra protection, but to be honest I cant really tell the difference after the car is dry. Maybe because I also use H2O GG every few washes. 

I prefer the spray glass cleaner over the aerosol. I feel like it lubricates better, but that can be the placebo effect. They both work the same though.

As for the wash pad, I much prefer the regular 10" wash pad over the wash mitt. I know a lot of people prefer the mitt, but i feel like the wash pad carries more suds and feels softer. However, I also feel like the wash mitt is better for the extra dirty parts like the front bumper where bugs accumulate. Plus it doesnt get tangled with sharp cornered badges, so thats another plus. 

And are you sure you mean the great white drying towel and not the ultra plush? The ultra plush is the one with different sides, and I use both sides randomly. I havent noticed a difference yet. I gave up on the great white drying towel or any other waffle weave to dry the whole car. 

As for the wash pad, I much prefer the regular 10" wash pad over the wash mitt. I know a lot of people prefer the mitt, but i feel like the wash pad carries more suds and feels softer. However, I also feel like the wash mitt is better for the extra dirty parts like the front bumper where bugs accumulate. Plus it doesnt get tangled with sharp cornered badges, so thats another plus. 

And are you sure you mean the great white drying towel and not the ultra plush? The ultra plush is the one with different sides, and I use both sides randomly. I havent noticed a difference yet. I gave up on the great white drying towel or any other waffle weave to dry the whole car. 

You might be right on the towel. I've had it for a while, and as it's a large towel probably just assumed it was the GWDT. I haven't noticed a difference switching sides.

I've got lots of waffle weaves and they seem to sometimes work great getting the water off and other times not so much. I tend to use them on areas that hold a lot of water like the hood and roof. Then go over with a single soft or something. Then use the singles on the sides.

I've been using the 10" wash pad as I like how much water and suds it can hold. It does get annoying with my GTI side badges as they are pointy and always catches. The mitt I've yet to use, but might start to use that as the 'lower' half of the car sponge and keep the pad for the top. They're nice and easy to tell apart.

I also don't tend to notice much of a difference with Wash and Wax vs Shampoo. I figured the effects were being masked because of the drying aids I was using.