Customer Service 866.965.0400

Just bought a Rupes need advice

Jazima

Question

I just bought a Rupes 15 mkII and was curious to everyones recommendations regarding pads and polish? also do I need multiple of the same pad to do a sedan size vehicle (due to build up on pad)?

Edited by Jazima

11 answers to this question

Everyone is going to recommend adams polishes and pads here. Ive used a few different types of pads and I also prefer adams pads.

Ive done a complete 1500 truck with a single 6" pad so multiple pads are not necessary. It might make things faster, but I think its better to just clean up the pad with a pad brush once you feel it starts getting build up. 

I buy 2 of each, if I drop the pad I've hit a second. I treat my pads the same way I treat clay, if it's the ground it's garbage. Sometimes I do the whole car with a pad before changing to the next one in the next step, sometimes I do a complete panel start to finish. So if I drop the pad it junk!

The Adams pads and polishes are great will def do what you need. 

As for pad quantity, I will agree and say that I have done my F250 CC with a single pad, it was a bit dirty by the end of the first polish, not so much so on subsequent polishes. Start with what you can, if you can only afford a small combo to get started then go for it and enjoy the shine it provides. I would suggest eventually having 2 or 3 of each type of pad you use regularly. I have the Cyclo but same theory applies, I have 3 sets of Orange pads, 2 sets of white pads, 1 set of red, and one set of black. I dont use those last to very often at all and for what they do I can hand apply as needed if there is an issue such as dropping a pad, getting one really dirty, or even tearing one accidentally.

Pads are also a great thing to keep in your wish list for when you have an order together and need something to push you into that free shipping category. Pads themselves are not that expensive once you get setup with things. 

It's a personal preference, when I detail a car I have three machines ready to go 21 mm orbit with a five inch pad and a flex 8 mm with a six inch pad and the adams mini orbital for the hard to reach and small areas.

Thank you for all the information provided, its greatly appreciated. Also, for the Rupes 15mm would you suggest a 5.5 or a 6 inch pad? or both work its just personal preference?

I would definitely recommend 2 pads each for cutting,(microfiber, blue,orange). But probably only 1 for waxing etc. i have 1 for Glaze and 1 for wax/seal.

I use the pad brush about every half panel, to clean out the dirt and clear coat that you've pulled off.

I have used Griots and Adam's pads, and highly recommended Adam's over Griots. But my opinion is restricted to these 2 companies.

Thank you for all the information provided, its greatly appreciated. Also, for the Rupes 15mm would you suggest a 5.5 or a 6 inch pad? or both work its just personal preference?  

The Rupes 15 is made to work with the 5.5 inch pads.