Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polymer vs. Silica products

8675309'SS

Question

19 answers to this question

Paint Sealant is a polymer acrylic sealant which is Adams longest lasting protection. HGG is a water activated sealant, but I'm unsure of it's base.

Wash and Wax and Ceramic Boost are both silica based products which also offer decent protection, but are not as strong as the polymer sealants.

Dustin you nailed these right on the head, the h20 guard n gloss is also acrylic based and that's why it ruins good microfiber towels lol. So I'm going to concur wit Dustin's answer since he is very much well versed in his adams product line.

Paint Sealant is a polymer acrylic sealant which is Adams longest lasting protection. HGG is a water activated sealant, but I'm unsure of it's base.

Wash and Wax and Ceramic Boost are both silica based products which also offer decent protection, but are not as strong as the polymer sealants.

Ok, so I must ask then, what does the Adam's product website (http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/carwashing/adam-s-wash-wax-16oz.html) mean by "special polymers" being the base for Wash & Wax? I've also read it contains both polymers and silica. Either way, I don't think there is any wax in it.

When I hear the word polymers I think of the word synthetic, so when it's synthetic it's just a man made wax type. So you can't really say it's wax becuse it's not natural.

I know I'm just talking out of my culo it just sounded good lol.

Ok, so I must ask then, what does the Adam's product website (http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/carwashing/adam-s-wash-wax-16oz.html) mean by "special polymers" being the base for Wash & Wax? I've also read it contains both polymers and silica. Either way, I don't think there is any wax in it.

Good discussion.

When I hear the word polymers I think of the word synthetic, so when it's synthetic it's just a man made wax type. So you can't really say it's wax becuse it's not natural.

I know I'm just talking out of my culo it just sounded good lol.

I think of the same, Joe...polymers = synthetic. But this still doesn't answer if the W&W has polymers and/or silica, and whether it's really a Wash & Wax or Wash & "Seal." Hopefully someone from the Adam's team can chime in and set me straight. :confused::help:

BTW, she we all tend to think of wax as natural (i.e. carnuba), some car waxes do still contain polymers, in addition to different types of waxes, oils, etc. Depends on the brand/type of car wax.

Another concur on the same page, I may get overwhelmed lol. If I may join Nate Dawgs two cents if I remember it has polymers and ci02 in it as well but very little but don't quote me I can't remember everything I don't want my brain to explode.

Good discussion.

I think of the same, Joe...polymers = synthetic. But this still doesn't answer if the W&W has polymers and/or silica, and whether it's really a Wash & Wax or Wash & "Seal." Hopefully someone from the Adam's team can chime in and set me straight. :confused::help:

BTW, she we all tend to think of wax as natural (i.e. carnuba), some car waxes do still contain polymers, in addition to different types of waxes, oils, etc. Depends on the brand/type of car wax.

I hope you don't want change for your two cents Nate Dawg, I just don't have it lol.

Put it on your moms credit card!!

Good discussion.

It is not a wax at all, it has protection derived from silica. (What the ceramic coatings are made of.)

I think if it had polymers it would be like Megs Ultimate Wash and Wax, very minor protection that only lasts about a week or 2.

Nathan, I wish I had a mom may she Rest In Peace!

Put it on your moms credit card!!

It is not a wax at all, it has protection derived from silica. (What the ceramic coatings are made of.)

I think if it had polymers it would be like Megs Ultimate Wash and Wax, very minor protection that only lasts about a week or 2.

I'm trying to tease out the differences why / when one would choose one of these family of products over the other as their main family of paint protectors. (Aside from maintaining a coating which is fairly obvious decision in my opinion.)

Let's take ceramic coatings out of this particular discussion altogether.

In terms of using products to seal the paint, why would I choose polymer family of products vs. silica? Average longevity, gloss, shine are where I would assume there are differences? Or I could be wrong. Maybe this type of question should be on a general detailing forum instead of here at Adam's, in which case we can let it die. I have done some poking around other sites, and don't quite feel like I have a full understanding. Regardless, I think I'll test one vehicle as a polymer vehicle and the other as a silica and see how it all shakes out over several months.

As an aside the Wash n Wax I thought had silica in it. But as Chris noted the website says Polymers. Unclear if it's one, the other, or both. Would like to know for my experiment though. I'll PM Dan and ask him to chime in with his knowledge.

My understanding is that the Silica adds a component of durability. Thereby making the prduct more of a Daily Driver application.

The Polymer products would be more applicable to a garage queen that rarely sees the outdoor elements.

I think its due to Silica being a more rigid chemical structure that is not broken down by organic solvents. Where polymers can be broken down, but has the ability to absorb the material its mixed with. In our case, mixed with "shine" :)

I'm no chemist, by any sense of the word. Just going from past reading and hopefully knowledge. :)

I have not put much time and effort into cataloging what each Adams product contains, just the use of each and the experiences others discuss with each product.

Agreed, maybe an Adams rep can chime in an answer the individual product question. :) :)

Edited by Nitelord

I don't think I've seen a definitive explanation of the differences between sealants and ceramics/silica.  The three most important factors to me are durability, shine and ease of application but those can mean different things to different people.  For example, different people prefer different kinds of shine.  A lot of people like the 'wet' look which you can get from either ceramics or waxes.  Others like the brilliance of the sealant; it doesn't look wet but practically glows in the dark.

Then through all of that, you have to decide how much time you have/want to spend detailing cars.  I think what you said is exactly right: you just need to experiment with products to see which combination of products and practices works best for you.  (FWIW, I'm thinking about doing the same thing you are.  My wife's car is totally ceramic and I'm thinking about doing mine with sealant and wax just to see the difference.)

I'm trying to tease out the differences why / when one would choose one of these family of products over the other as their main family of paint protectors. (Aside from maintaining a coating which is fairly obvious decision in my opinion.)

Regardless, I think I'll test one vehicle as a polymer vehicle and the other as a silica and see how it all shakes out over several months.

Jen, I would chose a liquid paint sealant for longevity, it takes longer to apply and lasts longer on the paint finish, topped off with a coat of wax. It takes a bit of effort to do though. In my opinion H20 g&g is a applicationto use when you have less time and want a quick sealant that last a couple of months.

Every company has its own variation or what works best, weather it being a carnuba or a polymers. Also you have to take into consideration what it's protection and shine properties that are left behind. Some carnuba make paints pop and look outstanding.

Hope this helped.

Let's take ceramic coatings out of this particular discussion altogether.

In terms of using products to seal the paint, why would I choose polymer family of products vs. silica? Average longevity, gloss, shine are where I would assume there are differences? Or I could be wrong. Maybe this type of question should be on a general detailing forum instead of here at Adam's, in which case we can let it die. I have done some poking around other sites, and don't quite feel like I have a full understanding. Regardless, I think I'll test one vehicle as a polymer vehicle and the other as a silica and see how it all shakes out over several months.

As an aside the Wash n Wax I thought had silica in it. But as Chris noted the website says Polymers. Unclear if it's one, the other, or both. Would like to know for my experiment though. I'll PM Dan and ask him to chime in with his knowledge.

According to the W&W video, as Nick (Nickfire20) and Nathan aptly pointed out here and elsewhere in the forum, Adam says it has protection derived from silica, along with some added lubricants. Maybe the website is wrong re: polymers, or maybe they're in there, too?

I'm by no means an expert or a chemist (didn't do so well in Organic Chemistry in college :wacko:), so I'll now defer to the experts for this discussion.

My understanding is that the Silica adds a component of durability. Thereby making the prduct more of a Daily Driver application.

The Polymer products would be more applicable to a garage queen that rarely sees the outdoor elements.

I think its due to Silica being a more rigid chemical structure that is not broken down by organic solvents. Where polymers can be broken down, but has the ability to absorb the material its mixed with. In our case, mixed with "shine" :)

I'm no chemist, by any sense of the word. Just going from past reading and hopefully knowledge. :)

I have not put much time and effort into cataloging what each Adams product contains, just the use of each and the experiences others discuss with each product.

Agreed, maybe an Adams rep can chime in an answer the individual product question. :) :)

Adams paint sealant and HGG are Adam's recommendations for daily driven vehicles and can last (depending on conditions) several months. I have been using that combo on one of our cars so I can attest to their durability. Both fall in the polymer family. So I would respectually disagree wth their use being relegated to garage queens.

Polymers are great, so are silicas better? And if so, why? I am interested in the minutiae of the differences.

I sent a message to Dan this morning. I'm sure he will learn us all, when he has a chance to.

Adams paint sealant and HGG are Adam's recommendations for daily driven vehicles and can last (depending on conditions) several months. I have been using that combo on one of our cars so I can attest to their durability. Both fall in the polymer family. So I would respectually disagree wth their use being relegated to garage queens.

I stand corrected. :)

I went and watched the sealant vs wax video. Adam does indeed say that the Polymer (Paint Sealant) is designed for better durability against the elements. Sorry for my misinformation. :(

Edited by Nitelord