Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar VS Clay Mitt

Nickfire20

Question

Need some input folks.

I have both and have used both.

If anyone has been following any of my posts, you probably saw that I recently did a major detail on my wifes CRV. It had never ever been done. While doing so, I found some super tough contamination on the paint. I know I can use a chemical spray, but chose not to. So I chose the clay bar and the new mitt. I had to really scrub with both, and in all used 2 bottles of detail spray. (Rinseless diluted to waterless, did not work well, at least with the mitt) I still may not have gotten all the containments off in some areas. But anyways, wanted some opinions on what everyone thought. Also is there anyway to see the crud in the mitt? Because I never did, but I did rinse it, then hand washed when complete.

On most of the car, I had to clay BAR, 4 or 5 times before it showed up clean, at this point the paint felt ok to the naked hand, then I bagged it, and it still felt rough, so I continued.

I would alternate mitt and bar.

15 answers to this question

I had to clay a car this Spring twice and the hood 4 times to remove all the contamination. That car sat outside 24/7 and was near trees. I usually find areas like the rocker panels need extra attention due to tar and road grime.

You will not see contaminates in the clay mitt like the clay. You can rinse the mitt as you go and as you did hand wash when done. I also use the clay mitt after I wash the car while there is still water on it. I find that I use less detail spray that way.

I have found the clay bar to perform far better than the mitt. I like the mitt when a quick, lighter claying is needed, but if you try to scrub with the mitt it WILL cause linoleum style scuffs that SUCK to get off. If you have a car with moderate to heavy contamination, stick with the clay bar to do it right. 

I never saw crud in the mitt either, but i'm assuming they're so small that you won't. After use I just rinse it out til next time.

I have found the clay bar to perform far better than the mitt. I like the mitt when a quick, lighter claying is needed, but if you try to scrub with the mitt it WILL cause linoleum style scuffs that SUCK to get off. If you have a car with moderate to heavy contamination, stick with the clay bar to do it right. 

I never saw crud in the mitt either, but i'm assuming they're so small that you won't. After use I just rinse it out til next time.

Read several posts about the scuffs, Dustin. What's the process to remove them?

Read several posts about the scuffs, Dustin. What's the process to remove them?

Some people used some sort of goo gone or something to remove them. I just kept at it with a clay bar, detail spray, and a single soft til it came off. Wasn't easy though. 

I though the clay mitt was suppose to be more aggressive?

At first I thought the same. And since I wrote my first review I've used it on my wife's "new to her" used fiesta that needed a LOT of tlc lol.. and the clay mitt didn't even touch the contaminants. When I tried to scrub, it scuffed. After that I switched back to the clay bar. Turns out that sometimes you just have to put in the time to get the job done right. 

All good info, thnks guys.

I had used the mitt on my Tahoe, and it didnt even get bugs off.

So its good to know, im not the only one who is experiencing this.

Pretty Pricey tool, for it not to work :(

The mitt did also leave 'skid marks' :) on the wifes, couldnt get rid of them but they did polish out with the DA.

Thanks again!

Yeah, I detail cars on the side and tend to get really bad cars that haven't been washed in years.  The mitt is almost useless in this situation.  I would save the mitt for the cars that just need a quick once over/light claying.  A true multiple clay bar process is what is needed for hammered paint.

And +1 for Tarminator to get the scuffs off.

Hey Nick we're those skid marks on the paint or your drawers?

:(

All good info, thnks guys.

I had used the mitt on my Tahoe, and it didnt even get bugs off.

So its good to know, im not the only one who is experiencing this.

Pretty Pricey tool, for it not to work :(

The mitt did also leave 'skid marks' :) on the wifes, couldnt get rid of them but they did polish out with the DA.

Thanks again!