Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best polish before using Adams ceramic coating

Aurora85

Question

Hi,

I purchased a new car and am planning to apply the ceramic coating to it. The paint is pretty much perfect only a few very small areas of light swirls that are nearly imperceptible. What would be the best polish to use on a good finish prior to applying the Adams coating? I was leaning towards the finishing polish as this is the least aggressive polish I could find. Also after this polish I would still use the kit paint prep prior to applying the ceramic coating? My vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner which I think has a softer clear coat.

Thanks for any info!

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum, Sean! Be sure to post an intro in the New Member Check-in thread...

At the risk of sound cliche, it depends. But the prevailing mantra is just as you describe - start with least aggressive method first. If the FP doesn't get it perfect, move up to the CP with the orange pad, and so on. Your best bet is start with a 2'x2' (or so) section to see what it'll take to get just right. Then, have at it for the rest of the car.

When you're done, post some pictures to show off the fruits of your labor!

I have a 4Runner as well and I've polished 2 times to date. Mine is white so I have a single stage paint with a mixed in clear. Go ahead and put the orange correcting polish to it. Finishing polish won't touch the swirls if that's all you use. Just follow your typical 2 step process with correcting and finishing polishes and it'll look great.

Thanks guys!  There are only 2 small places one on the back quarter panel and on the hatch.  I only noticed it after detailing in the garage last week looking at the paint under light.  I was afraid that the orange correcting polish could do more damage than good to the rest of the paint that is otherwise looking great vs using a finishing polish.  

Did you give it the "baggy test"?  New cars almost ALWAYS need to be clayed. You don't want to coat over the rail dust that's on there.

Oh yes it's already been clayed. It definitely removed some of the transportation junk that got on there. Overall very pleased with the condition so far of the paint.