Customer Service 866.965.0400

Weird Polish Marks

Mbrazelton

Question

Saturday I spent about 5-6 hrs paint correcting my new Silverado.  It did not need much just mostly spent the time on the paint sealant and Finishing Polish, the truck looked perfect.  But yesterday with the 30MPH winds and the dust at my work the truck became pretty dusty.  Today on my way to work I noticed the truck had got some dew on it from it being cold and you could see some buffer marks and some of what looked like polish was left, that I never saw in the last 2-3 days.   Is this normal sometime and will Detail spray take it off. 

14 answers to this question

So you clayed after polishing? You probably have clay residue under the PS.

He may not mention IPA but it is one of the "rules of detailing" if you follow me.

The process should have gone like this;

Wash

Clay

Polish

IPA wipedown

PS

DS to help remove any missed PS

To clarify on the isopropyl alcohol wipedown, I like to use a 50/50 mix with water, choosing the highest percentage iso alcohol I can find. Spraying it on and wiping off with one of the blue WW towels works perfect.

I should also add some have started using the Coating Prep to remove polish residue. While it will work great and definitely smell better, the alcohol is a cheaper option.

Edited by falcaineer

I never do a alcohol wipe down and I never have any issues.

But it's fine if you feel you need the extra step.......

I'm with you.  I don't do a wipedown either unless I find some dried spots that need a little convincing to come off.  I will always use prep or other products if I'm prepping for a ceramic coating though.  For standard applications though, it's polish, seal, glaze and wax.