Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flood Water In Car

Southern Car Parts

Question

Well Im down in Houston and we got alot of rain. I have alot of friends that cars got flooded but not to the point of totaling them. Carpets need cleaning. Is there any Adams product we can use to clean and deodorize them?

Let me know

Paul Morris

Marketing/Sales

1-888-631-1433 ext. 101

www.southerncarparts.com

logo.png

10 answers to this question

And you have to watch for interior wires and switches rusting now that they are wet.  But dumping the carpet and seats and anything cloth and maybe anything with soft rubber should be under consideration.  If you are not sure.  Clean the carpet, in a few days see if it is smelling again.  If yes, replace it.  Do the same with the seats and dash.  A lot depends on how deep the water was. Some of those clean up and others you can never get the smell out no matter what you replace. 

Like others have said, it depends on how much water got in and how much damage was done.  Leather or fabric seats?  Heated or cooled seats?  Both of those options have different solutions.  Leather seats may shrink and dry out eventually, but the big issue here is the padding underneath the leather. Not good if it got soaked. Personally, I'd replace them if the foam got wet. Fabric seats can be wet vac'd and air dried a lot easier, but there may be a mold or mildew smell left over. Adam's Odor Neutralizer would work to eliminate the odor, but nothing is going to get rid of the mold or mildew except replacement. 

Pretty much the same with carpet and padding.  Wet vac, dry with heat if possible, and watch for carpet pulling away in the corners and seams.  Many car owners may just have to suck it up and replace it all.  

And if the wires and connections for those heated, cooled, or automatic seats got wet, that's a whole other ballgame. 

The one thing that comes to my mind in this case would be to hit the cars with a solid dose of Ozone, it should handle all of that mold and mildew but might take some work and effort. 

Personally I would gut the interior and clean all the metal, let the seats sit in the sun and dry out as much as possible if fabric, if leather, its going to be a mess. Carpet and padding say goodbye just get new, dont forget the headliner and other areas of the car were able to absorb a TON of moisture just from the air. 

If you are going to be doing anything a mask is in order , you do NOT want to breathe in all those spores. Do as much work outside of your shop as possible if you are doing it.