Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ready for first wash of new truck, couple questions

coops18ZR2

Question

Hello all,

Ready for my first wash on the new truck and I have a couple of questions.  I want to make sure I'm going about this in the proper order to achieve the best results possible. 

My plan is to start with a good wash using the foam cannon, two bucket method, and two wash mit method.  After that I will dry the truck with the great white drying towels in preparation for the Visco clay.  First question, should using detail spray to help dry the truck be avoided since I will be immediately claying the entire truck using detail spray at this point? 

Once the truck is dry I will proceed to the Visco clay using the detail spray as my lubricant.  I will be claying the entire truck in one shot in my garage.

Once I'm done claying the truck I plan to rewash it to get any left over material off from the clay process and dry the truck using H2O G&G to help dry and protect the paint.

Second question, after I'm done drying the truck using the H2O G&G is it ok/necessary to go back over the truck with detail spray to further the shine or would this be counter productive or diminish the application of the H2O G&G?

I'm open to your tips and suggestions here.

Thank you and have a great day!

Tony

16 answers to this question

To save some time and detail spray, I would just clay the truck before you dry it from the wash. Just use the same soapy water to lubricate the clay bar. Youll save a lot of detail spray this way, and time because you wont have to dry it twice. 

Theres really no need for detail spray after H2O gg. I feel like H2O is kinda like detail spray on steroids, it protects better, it dries better, and it shines better. The only time I use detail spray over h2o is when I work a bit slow and the h2o dries out, I use a little detail spray to help wipe the h2o gg off. 

Chonke,

Thanks for such a quick reply!  Sounds like a plan then with claying right after the wash and not drying.  This will be my first time doing a clay job on a full vehicle so I'm eager to learn as I go!

Thanks again for the quick reply!

Tony

No need to dry before claying. I would still use detail spray as a clay lubricant rather than soapy water (just a personal preference).

No problem at all with going over the truck with Detail Spray after H2O GG.  I find that a last Detail Spray application gives me a chance to go around the entire vehicle and remove any smudges and streaks that might have been left after the H2O application.

Thank you for the quick replies and suggestions.  The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to follow the video and use the detail spray as my clay lubricant for my first time out.  As I mentioned, this will be my first go around at claying an entire vehicle and I feel it might be better, for me anyway, to get the process down before moving onto different techniques.  I'm not saying another technique doesn't work with great results by any means!  Guess I want to learn the basics before graduating to intermediate level claying if that makes sense lol.

Also, paint sealant was mentioned.  Right now the plan is to get the first wash in along with clay followed by H20 GG.  I still need to order the 15mm LT polisher and other products to do a paint correction.  Once I get the paint correction done I will follow with ceramic coating on the wheels, trim, and paint in that order.  At least that's the plan moving forward. 

Thanks again to all of you for such quick replies and the suggestions and tips!

Tony

Yep, I prefer Detail Spray as a clay lubricant as well, since it seems to be the most slick for me. I will use about 4-8 oz or so to clay a normal size vehicle, slightly more for a larger truck or SUV. Severity of the contamination on the paint can also determine how much Detail Spray I use when claying.

I will usually go straight from washing and rinsing the car to claying, without blowing all of the water off of the surface. This also helps me save a bit of Detail Spray in the process. 

Well, after about 5 hours or so I finished my first wash, clay, and H20 GG.  I've used Adam's products for a good number of years but this was my first time with the foam cannon, visco clay, and H2O GG.  I am happy to report that I'm VERY happy with how things turned out and the ease at which the products worked, then again, Adam's products have always worked great for me!!!  The truck only has 200 miles on it so the before and after pics won't be shocking since it was somewhat clean to begin with.  In person though, it's a whole different ball game.  Knowing what it looked like before washing and everything else to how it looks now..........AMAZING!!!!  The paint looks like you could swim in it.  I can't imagine what this thing will look like after a correction and ceramic coating!

Dan@Adam's,  I actually did exactly the method you mentioned.  Once I was done washing the truck I pulled it into my garage and didn't even dry it.  I used detail spray and set out to the claying process.  It took me a little longer than most probably but this was my first time and I wanted to do things thoroughly.  The process worked great!  After the clay I rolled her back outside and washed her again.  This time I finished with the H2O GG, I was in the direct sun while doing this but a light elbow grease is all that was needed to get the product on and off in a timely manner.  The H2O GG works just like the video depicts!

Anyway, here are some before pics of the truck.  Again, it was fairly clean to begin with.

post-16572-0-11722200-1505420373_thumb.jpg

post-16572-0-63580800-1505420384_thumb.jpg

post-16572-0-48093500-1505420390_thumb.jpg

post-16572-0-01683800-1505420401_thumb.jpg

Here are the after pics.  One disclaimer, I hadn't finished the wheels yet or the grill.  Also, on a side note the Fedex lady must have known I was gonna be washing the truck today.  Right before I started she dropped off my Adam's sidekick blaster. :D

Many thanks to everyone for your input on my first wash of the new truck!

Tony

post-16572-0-37968200-1505420559_thumb.jpg

post-16572-0-56772300-1505420569_thumb.jpg

post-16572-0-37531100-1505420578_thumb.jpg

post-16572-0-46346500-1505420592_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliments folks, I'm really happy with how it turned out!  The H2O GG IS as advertised, it's like detail spray on steroids.  The detail spray works great and I've always loved it, but the GG just takes the shine to a different level even without a paint correction done yet.

Mbrazelton,  I apologize for not touching on what you mentioned about not needing a swirl killer for paint sealant application.  The 15mm swirl killer will be used for doing the paint correction when the time comes.  I have seen if I remember correctly, that you can use the grey pad for paint sealant application using the 15mm LT.  My memory is a little fuzzy right now so please correct me if I'm incorrect. I think the sun took it's toll on my bald head today lol.

Thanks again for the compliments and I'm sure as I progress with things I'll have more questions.  Of course that just means more pics of the truck as things move forward. :D

Tony

Gabhart,

I know something needs to be done with the tires, they look kinda fugly compared to the rest of the truck.  I don't have any tire shine right yet, I may use SVRT to tide me over until I get some tire shine.

By the way, gorgeous looking Camaro in your avatar pic!!!

Tony

dbeckC7,

Thanks for the compliments on the truck.  Hoping to have it fully ceramic coated in the next month.  Not driving it much until I get the coating on and of course more pics lol.

Thanks again to everyone for the responses!

Tony