Customer Service 866.965.0400

soap with clay bar vs. detail spray

camp316

Question

Ive seen some detailing videos on YouTube where they would sub the car was soap for detail spray when using the clay bar. 

Most would wash car regularly with mitt but not rinse, instead would leave all the suds on and start claying as usual. 

When i did mine i used this method and also shot some detail spray when needed. I feel this save a lot of detail spray but wanted you guys thoughts on it. 

7 answers to this question

Claying with sudsy water is an option, but I would not recommend claying with the suds still on the vehicle from a wash without rinsing first. There will likely be dirt or other grit left in the suds on the paint after using the wash mitt or pad, and you would not want to rub that into the paint with the clay bar and cause swirls or scratches.

Rinse the vehicle down after the wash, then use either Detail Spray when it is still wet, or you could use fresh suds from the wash bucket as the lubricant.

I always seem to have some suds left over in my wash bucket or foam gun. It works well to clay with. This might fit another thread but can a person clay over guard and gloss or is there a need to reapply after claying?

You’ll need to reapply protection after claying