Customer Service 866.965.0400

Applying Sealant or Wax to New Paint

jcahoe

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi Joe, I would check the build date of the vehicle either on the door jamb or under the hood, but most likely it was manufactured at least a few months ago, then transported around the country, so it should be fine to seal and wax as Ryan stated. Most factory vehicles are 'baked' as well so that the clear coat cures more quickly.

If it was a new paint job from a body shop, they will typically tell you to wait 60-90 days before applying any type of sealant or wax to the fresh paint to allow it to fully cure first.

Hi Joe, I would check the build date of the vehicle either on the door jamb or under the hood, but most likely it was manufactured at least a few months ago, then transported around the country, so it should be fine to seal and wax as Ryan stated. Most factory vehicles are 'baked' as well so that the clear coat cures more quickly.

If it was a new paint job from a body shop, they will typically tell you to wait 60-90 days before applying any type of sealant or wax to the fresh paint to allow it to fully cure first.

Hi Dan,

In case the vehicle was manufactured let's say within a month ago is still advisable to seal and wax? 

I would personally wait a month before you seal it, also make sure you tell your dealer not to wax or polish the car because I don’t think you’ll be interested in the custom racing stripes they like to apply free of charge.

Hi Dan,

In case the vehicle was manufactured let's say within a month ago is still advisable to seal and wax?

I would personally wait a month before you seal it, also make sure you tell your dealer not to wax or polish the car because I don’t think you’ll be interested in the custom racing stripes they like to apply free of charge.

Hi Joe,

Got it. Thanks! 

Part of me has decided to tell the dealer to give me a dirty car, however, it's India and just in case something comes up after I take delivery the dealer will run away from his responsibilities. I have 2 weeks to go, let's see. 

Go with an inspection checklist printed out on a piece of paper or on your phone. Follow the checklist completely before you drive off the lot. Don't become distracted by the "let me walk you through all the features" thing that they may do. Checklist first, features after.

Enjoy your new ride!

Nikhil, Jen above has a great recommendation, she is ver knowledgeable, do a thurogh inspection and makes sure the remove the shipping vinyl for you so you can see every inch of that car. Good Luck and enjoy your new car.

Hi Joe,

Got it. Thanks! 

Part of me has decided to tell the dealer to give me a dirty car, however, it's India and just in case something comes up after I take delivery the dealer will run away from his responsibilities. I have 2 weeks to go, let's see.

Go with an inspection checklist printed out on a piece of paper or on your phone. Follow the checklist completely before you drive off the lot. Don't become distracted by the "let me walk you through all the features" thing that they may do. Checklist first, features after.

Enjoy your new ride!

Hi Jen, thanks! I will make it a point to follow this sequence, just have to contain my excitement at delivery. 

Nikhil, Jen above has a great recommendation, she is ver knowledgeable, do a thurogh inspection and makes sure the remove the shipping vinyl for you so you can see every inch of that car. Good Luck and enjoy your new car.

Thanks, Joe!