Customer Service 866.965.0400

Forum Upgrade

GerryC

6 hours ago, TheWolf said:

Fixed it.  I edited the Unread Content stream to go to the last unread post in the thread.  Try it out and let me know if it is not working for you.

6 hours ago, TheWolf said:

And now I just found that if you click on the little black dot or star next to the thread title, it takes you to the first unread post. 

Thanks, Dan.  It works now for the unread content.

Can you also make this work for the other sections?   For example, when you click on the Mystery Box thread in the Members Only section, it still takes you to the first page.  You do have the option to click on the last page, but this will only take you to the top of the last page instead of the last unread post.

image.png

Maybe I did something wrong but I noticed when you go to "Preview" mode it didn't really preview (looked like original link) and you could not make changes to text.

Edit: Also is there no longer a like button?

Edited by FP350S

32 minutes ago, FP350S said:

Maybe I did something wrong but I noticed when you go to "Preview" mode it didn't really preview (looked like original link) and you could not make changes to text.

Click on the heart at the bottom right.  There are a few different responses to choose from.

Screenshot_20171025-104346.png

17 hours ago, avimore said:

Thanks, Dan.  It works now for the unread content.

Can you also make this work for the other sections?   For example, when you click on the Mystery Box thread in the Members Only section, it still takes you to the first page.  You do have the option to click on the last page, but this will only take you to the top of the last page instead of the last unread post.

image.png

Sorry Ed, I don't see a setting to make a click on the thread title take you to the first unread post.

You will have to re-train your clicker finger to hit the small black dot or star next to the thread title to jump to the first unread post.

10 hours ago, FP350S said:

When you go into Preview mode in the Reply box, you cannot edit the text of your post.  To get out of Preview mode, click on the black X, and you can then continue to edit your post.

Preview.JPG

Still getting used to the upgrade, but I'm not one to usually like change (does Outback have anything besides cheese fries and the Outback Special?! :wacko:). Anyway, I'm probably missing it, but every time I click Unread Content, it seems to default to the last 365 days...that's a lot to read! And there's probably a reason I didn't read it in the first place. Can I set it up to default to "since last visit" as it did before the upgrade?

6 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Still getting used to the upgrade, but I'm not one to usually like change (does Outback have anything besides cheese fries and the Outback Special?! :wacko:). Anyway, I'm probably missing it, but every time I click Unread Content, it seems to default to the last 365 days...that's a lot to read! And there's probably a reason I didn't read it in the first place. Can I set it up to default to "since last visit" as it did before the upgrade?

I think you can approximate it from the activity stream. Click "unread" then filter "since last visit"

IMG_0345.PNG

7 hours ago, falcaineer said:

I used to have that problem on the old forums regularly as there was content that I sometimes wouldnt read. The esaiest way I found around that was every time I was done reading the forums and had read all the new topics I was planning to I used the link to mark forums read. Previously it was on the left side now it is on the right at the bottom and top of any thread or the main page titled "Mark site read", hint its right NEXT to the Unread content button. That will mark all threads read and allow for much easier use of the unread content button (Which I also beat to death on here!) 

On my laptop the format is all messed up. I have tried Firefox and IE. Below is a picture of what my adams forum page looks like. Adams polishes.com looks normal. At one point I was able to see the new forum in the correct format. Unsure what happened though. 

IMG_0366.JPG

Seems to be working fine for me; looks like the stylesheet isn't loading for you. Is it just the settings page or all of the forum pages? Do you have an adblocker enabled? Does pressing CTRL + F5 (hard refresh) fix it?

33 minutes ago, GerryC said:

Seems to be working fine for me; looks like the stylesheet isn't loading for you. Is it just the settings page or all of the forum pages? Do you have an adblocker enabled? Does pressing CTRL + F5 (hard refresh) fix it?

The whole forum is that format. Pressing CTRL+F5 doesn't fix it. 

19 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Hi Falcaineer.  If you filter the content to "since the last visit" like Jen suggested above, you'll be prompted to save your changes as new stream.  Once you do that, you can default back to that stream the next time you're on the forum.  If you look under the Activity tab you'll see a drop down for custom streams.  Your custom stream for unread content will be down near the bottom.

The only downside to creating a new stream is that you have to access it from the drop-down menu, whereas the Unread Content is a button right there all the time.

@falcaineer I would suggest browsing the Unread Content through the date of your last visit, then click the "Mark site read" button.  That way, from then on, the only unread content would be that which has occurred since your last visit.

Then each time you visit the forum, scan the Unread Content Stream, read the posts of interest, then click "Mark site read".  Making this a habit keeps the Unread Content stream short.

While the stock Unread Content stream can be edited in the Admin settings, not all people would want to have it universally set to "Since Last Visit", since some people, like myself, will scan the list, and read some threads, but then prefer to come back at a later visit to read the others.  Hence the default setting of "Past 365 days".

Also, note that @mentions are now available.  These are great for alerting a member to something they may be interested in or have experience with.  The mentions are also a good way to respond to a long post, rather than quoting the entire post in the reply.  I would encourage this use, as some threads can be a bit much to scroll through when long posts (especially ones with lots of pics) are quoted and re-quoted.

Just don't get carried away with this new feature, or you'll get @banned! :lol:

I'm not having as easy a time catching on to this new format as the rest of you, but I will  eventually.  I miss the "view new content" box. Made it easier for me to read new posts. But I found it. Like anything new, takes time.  

On 10/26/2017 at 11:17 PM, Rich said:

I'm not having as easy a time catching on to this new format as the rest of you, but I will  eventually.  I miss the "view new content" box. Made it easier for me to read new posts. But I found it. Like anything new, takes time.  

Rich Upper right or lower right corner of every post and or screen in the Adams forums has an unread content and just to the right of that is a mark site read option. 

Once I found them they are so much easier than previous.