Customer Service 866.965.0400

5.5" Pads?

TGO

Question

Admittedly it's been a while since I've had to do a paint correction. But I decided I might as well get new pads for my Flex before I attempt. I didn't know what size the backing plate was on there. I just ordered the biggest pad they sell on the website which is 5.5". Well, apparently they used to be bigger because the backing plate on my flex is a little bigger than the foam polishing pad. I'm not sure if this is an issue. I think I could use it just fine like this but better safe than sorry. Do i need a new (smaller) backing plate? It doesn't seem like they are gonna go back to selling the bigger pads. 

7 answers to this question

The 5.5 pads are made to go with a 5" backing plate. I dont think theres anything wrong using them with a larger backing plate as long as they are centered perfectly so they dont vibrate like crazy.. Just be extra careful so that the backing plate doesnt touch the paint in those weird angles.

However, the backing plates are about 10-15 bucks, I would consider one just for convenience sake. 

Do not use smaller pads, the over hang can and will damage the paint, go buy a 6 inch or 6.5 inch pad or you may be asking for trouble if one little mishap happens. backing plates for the flex are $30.00 and up just depending where you buy them, a smaller one is available if that’s the route you want to take.

Call Adam's Customer Service line there may be some 6" pads in the warehouse, check with dealers listed in the Find a Dealer link at the bottom of the page in the web store. Google for 6" pads.

Please don't try to use pads that are smaller than recommended, if there is not enough pad material to cover the backing plate, and the bare backing plate touches the paint, it will cut through the paint. The 5.5" pad will not fit the Flex backing plate.

The 5.5 pads are made to go with a 5" backing plate. I dont think theres anything wrong using them with a larger backing plate as long as they are centered perfectly so they dont vibrate like crazy.. Just be extra careful so that the backing plate doesnt touch the paint in those weird angles.

However, the backing plates are about 10-15 bucks, I would consider one just for convenience sake. 

The best I found was about $38 on amazon. 

Call Adam's Customer Service line there may be some 6" pads in the warehouse, check with dealers listed in the Find a Dealer link at the bottom of the page in the web store. Google for 6" pads.

Please don't try to use pads that are smaller than recommended, if there is not enough pad material to cover the backing plate, and the bare backing plate touches the paint, it will cut through the paint. The 5.5" pad will not fit the Flex backing plate.

I already bought the 5.5" pads. I had no idea they were even a different size. 

Honestly...It's a little upsetting that you spend hundreds of dollars on a machine + polish + pad and when you come back to re-up your supplies you can't. I guess I'll just get the new backing plate. 

There's still many companies that produce the larger pads.  Short of getting the smaller backing plate, this may be a situation where you need to order from a different company.  That being said, I prefer the newer 5.5" over the bigger pads because it's easier to get into tight spaces.

There's still many companies that produce the larger pads.  Short of getting the smaller backing plate, this may be a situation where you need to order from a different company.  That being said, I prefer the newer 5.5" over the bigger pads because it's easier to get into tight spaces.

This. Shop around.

The best I found was about $38 on amazon. 

I already bought the 5.5" pads. I had no idea they were even a different size. 

Honestly...It's a little upsetting that you spend hundreds of dollars on a machine + polish + pad and when you come back to re-up your supplies you can't. I guess I'll just get the new backing plate. 

Contact Adams Customer Service and ask for refund on the 5.5" pads.  Am certain they will take them back, since you did not use them.  Or offer them up to someone on the garage sale, maybe there is someone that has 6" pads they could trade you for.  As I agree with others do not use the 5.5" pads on a 6" backing plate, it is way to easy to get an angle that will scrape, in fact there were a couple times last night while buffing out swirls that I did just that and thankfully since had the right size pad on the right size backing plate did not have an issue.