Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bonded bug remnants

Node

Question

I’m trying to get my car prepped to put on Liquid Paint Selant so I’m ready for the winter months. I’ve done my two bucket wash, and was in the process of clay baring to.get the car ready. However as I’m going over it, it seems like there is stuff left over from bug hits that I can’t get off. Clay bar, bug remover and hand polish won’t get this stuff off.

Any ideas on what to do? Really don’t want this stuff under the LPS.

8 answers to this question

Standard polishing won’t take out serious etching. If you look really closely you’ll be able to see where it’s eaten away clearcoat and paint. My wife’s car has serious bug guts etching and after about 5 minutes with a polisher and I realized it was pointless. You might be able to wet sand and polish, but not telling. Depends on the severity. You have any pictures?

I have bug etching on my truck from my pre-Adam's days.  After I polished the truck I found I had very smooth bug etching, but the etching had eaten into the paint.  Not much you can do without adding some paint back to the area.

Anyone else here heard about using fabric softener sheets dipped in water or sprayed with waterless wash for removing bugs & bug guts?

Heard it from some other car buddies...if it was true just thought maybe it would help in this case...of course do not know myself.

my wife has those all over the front of her mazda.  it looks like something should be felt there but it's just smooth.  the only way iv'e removed it was from light sanding followed by compound and polish.  even then it was not gone completely (prob no sanding deep enough?).  def something you should prob not tackle without a test panel and/or a buffer.