Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scuff Mark On Paint

slapshot87

Question

Edit:  Sorry - right after I posted the following, I realized that it probably should have gone under "Paint Correction & Polishing".  My apologies!

Hi, all.  So as I left work today and walked out to my car in the parking lot, I found a nice, black scuff smack in the middle of my rear passenger door (I didn't take a pic but can do so tomorrow if that will help guide any responses).  Needless to say, this discovery was immediately followed by loud profanity - and I guess I'll find out tomorrow if anyone from the HR dept. was within earshot.  :unsure:

Anyway, there fortunately isn't a dent in my door.  As I ran my hand over the scuff mark, it felt smooth.  I even gently took my fingernail across it - I couldn't feel any roughness or catching.  Based upon this, I'm hoping that the mark is confined to just the surface.  My question is this - I do not own an orbital polisher (nor have I ever used one).  I do, however, have a new Visco clay bar, a bottle of Revive and a blue hex-grip applicator.  Do you guys think those products might help?  If so, would you recommend one over the other or would I be better to use both (i.e. clay first followed by Revive)?

Any input would be appreciated.  If at all possible, I'd like to avoid the dealership and paying out the wazoo if this is something that I can possibly do myself.  Thank you in advance.

Edited by slapshot87

6 answers to this question

I agree, usually paint transfer can be removed with clay.  And the chemicals in the Revive Hand Polish should help remove anything that is left.  If the clay does mar the paint, you may need a machine to remove those, but the black mark will be gone at least!

1 hour ago, Chris@Adams said:

I just had to do this yesterday..............I used Goo Gone that removed the worst. Then I clayed , then finally Revive polish. Turned out great!

Goo Gone - there's something that I would've never even thought of.  Thank you, Chris!  :)

I'm late in posting an update, but the Visco clay bar & Revive w/ blue hex-grip applicator completely removed the black scuff from my door.  And from what I can see, they didn't introduce any swirls or marring of my paint, so I'm thrilled with the results!  Thanks again for the input here & thank you to Adam's for top-notch products that work well with minimal effort!