Customer Service 866.965.0400

Noob in the house

Grumpy_one

I’m not a detailer , nor do I pretend to be one. Truth is ( don’t cringe) I’ve been taking my car to the car wash for years! But we have had both our cars totaled over the summer and have been forced to buy new cars, well kind of. We bought my wife a new Mazda CX-9, and I purchased a 2003 Acura CL with 22k miles. Yes, that’s 22,000 miles. So now that we have nice cars, it’s time to treat them right. 

The reason for me coming here is that my wife’s car is dark colored, and my car has real nasty water spots. I tried water/vinegar, letting it soak and scrub like **** to no avail, water spot remover, no help and then Bar Keepers friend, which worked really well but left micro scratch’s in the test area of glass. 

So please point me to the correct forum room to discuss my water spots, and hello!

Edited by Grumpy_one
Typo

Hello and welcome. To get rid of water spots, you may have to polish them out. Especially if they’ve been there a while. 

You have a few options available.

- make an investment and obtain the proper supplies and tools to get them out. 

- have a detailer remove them and then get maintenance supplies to keep your rides looking fresh. 

If it interests you and you have the budget, getting your own stuff and doing it yourself can be rewarding. It’ll take some time though since there’s much to learn. 

If you don’t want to spend the time and money, paying someone may be the way to go. 

The workflow for us on something like this would be:

- wash car and wheels

- clay

- iron decontamination

- polish (one, two or three steps depending on need)

- sealant

- glaze (for added gloss)

- wax (for extra pop and protection)

Thanks for the quick reply Shane. I've been watching a lot of video's, I'm a DIY'er, and Junkman's vid's have given me the confidence to go and attack my situation. I understand he has left your forums, which is a shame, but life goes on. I think I have an idea on what machine I'll land on, I know the importance of a good backing plate and pads are, as well as a good product. I wrench for a living and know the difference between good expensive tools, and cheap tools that will get you by in a pinch. Do you have any video's of using your product to remove heavy water spots on glass?  My search hasn't found any on your site. Just glass cleaner and sealant. I think I'm beyond cleaner and sealant right now. Thanks!

You’re welcome. Correcting your issue is within the realm of a DIY’er like yourself. I don’t personally have any “how to” videos. We haven’t gotten into the video realm yet. We do have a capable camera coming tomorrow though, so you never know. 

For your needs, check out the Adam’s Polishes paint polishing videos. That’s exactly what you’ll be doing. 

Here is a link: 

There is a wealth of information there. Watch the videos. Make a list of questions, then ask here. 

And remember, always go least aggressive to most aggressive. Finishing polishing will probably be adequate for what you’re attempting. It’s not uncommon for us to do a single or two step polish, but find a few spots we will spot correct with heavier compounds. Try a test sample to make sure you’re getting the results you’re after. 

Good luck!

Thanks Shane and Wolf. I've seen lots of paint correction vid's, but not too many glass correction vids at least not any that will leave me with no scratches in my glass. I've seen a couple but they're boasting their own products, of course.  So if I were to start here, what pads and product do you recommend to rid of the spots on my glass. And if any transfer over to paint, that would be good to know. My silver paint doesn't reveal much in the way of defects. I was able to spot some spots, but barely.  Here are some photo's. IMG_4781.thumb.jpg.4dfa1506a826fe7992b9aa1211d5b7c2.jpg

This is the sun roof, you can see where I removed the spots via Bar Keepers Friend. After seeing the scratches in the mirror and rear window, I stopped. 

IMG_4653.thumb.jpg.1ac33b0a2ab231aceceddcebb7d9d291.jpg

Scratches I put in the passenger side mirror, only noticeable at night with a car's headlights in the mirror. Looks good otherwise,

IMG_6820.thumb.jpg.3d5a17fb2de16c73715839cb50ae4421.jpg

You can barely see the spots on the left side of the paint

IMG_3007.thumb.jpg.d973fd9b22a942da87581b2bd03bed70.jpg

This is the windshield, it's clear where the wipers trackIMG_3158.thumb.jpg.15477eb62d8344ae2bdb9fd5a39f022e.jpg

Scratches in the rear window. It's just in the upper corner that I can't see in the rear view mirror. 

Adams unfortunately doesn’t offer a glass polish. That means you’ll most likely have to look elsewhere if that’s what you’re looking to do. Glass is incredibly hard and will take time for you to polish to perfection.

Clay on the glass may lift them up some. It tends to work pretty well and we rarely have to go more aggressive than that. It may be a labor of love to remove them. And don’t be afraid to try different grades of clay. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. 

Thanks. The water/vinegar tended to remove particles, and made the spots less noticeable, but it seems to be etched in the glass and that's what I'm looking to remove and I'm not sure that clay will get the result I'm looking for. But it is certainly something I will try. I think at this point, it's going to take a machine and some polish, hunt goes on. Thanks again.   

Edited by Grumpy_one
grammer

15 hours ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Adams unfortunately doesn’t offer a glass polish. That means you’ll most likely have to look elsewhere if that’s what you’re looking to do. Glass is incredibly hard and will take time for you to polish to perfection.

Clay on the glass may lift them up some. It tends to work pretty well and we rarely have to go more aggressive than that. It may be a labor of love to remove them. And don’t be afraid to try different grades of clay. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. 

I'd be happy with the condition it was in from the factory. This car has been garaged most of it's 22k miles, was driven by an old lady, and for a car that is 14 years old it's in great shape, I mean really great shape. It deserves to look it's best. So while I'm not sure what you mean by "perfection", these spots are driving me nuts! A machine and polish are in my future, blcksilv08 mentioned a microfiber pad and correction polish. Blcksilv08. I'm guessing the 5.5" mf pad and Adams correcting polish will do the job?

The microfiber pads are the more aggressive of the pads that are offered.  By perfection, I mean so that the windshield is crystal clear with zero issues.  Polishing glass by hand really isn't practical other than for fresh spot removal.  Glass is an extremely hard surface and will take patience and multiple steps most likely.  Have you clayed the windshield to see what that pulls off?  You'll be amazed at what a good clay job can pull off for contaminants.  It may even be worth the nanoskin pads on a machine.  They're a bit more aggressive.  We have them that we use for really contaminated jobs.  Be cautious on paint, as they will most likely leave marring that will need to be polished out.  On glass with proper lubrication (more is better than less), you could use them pretty aggressively.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2017 at 9:56 AM, shane@detailedreflections said:

The microfiber pads are the more aggressive of the pads that are offered.  By perfection, I mean so that the windshield is crystal clear with zero issues.  Polishing glass by hand really isn't practical other than for fresh spot removal.  Glass is an extremely hard surface and will take patience and multiple steps most likely.  Have you clayed the windshield to see what that pulls off?  You'll be amazed at what a good clay job can pull off for contaminants.  It may even be worth the nanoskin pads on a machine.  They're a bit more aggressive.  We have them that we use for really contaminated jobs.  Be cautious on paint, as they will most likely leave marring that will need to be polished out.  On glass with proper lubrication (more is better than less), you could use them pretty aggressively.

Hey Shane. Yes, I have clayed the windows, and some came up. The photo's here are after claying. As of now, I just want to nail down a polish material and pad and give it a whirl. Thanks

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, Grumpy_one said:

Hey Shane. Yes, I have clayed the windows, and some came up. The photo's here are after claying. As of now, I just want to nail down a polish material and pad and give it a whirl. Thanks

Late Welcome!  Were you ever able to get the water spots out of the glass?  I would think that you could use CLR on it...being careful to not get it on the paint.  Start out with a dilution.  Rather than spraying, put it on a cloth and then lay the cloth on the window.  Do a test area and see how that turns out.

Edited by Liralen