Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing an older Jeep

ragin_cajuns

Question

I plan to polish and correct my cars soon - a 2016 GMC Sierra, a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder and a 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.  I was going to use a Porter Cable with paint correcting polish then the finishing polish on all three.  My question is about the Jeep.  It is over 14 years old and I just bought it a year ago.  It's white and in decent shape for an older Jeep that has probably not been given the most attention detailing wise over the years.  The paint isn't perfect but it's not bad considering the age.  It has small scratches here and there.  I did clay it a few days ago and it obviously doesn't feel as smooth as when I clay my 2016 truck or wife 2014 Nissan.  Is my plan to correct and polish it with correcting polish and finish polish a good approach on an older vehicle?

14 answers to this question

As the Jeep is white, is could be single stage paint (vs. base coat/clear coat).  You can test it by applying some polish with a pad/towel that is not white, and check for paint transfer.

For any of the vehicles, use the least aggressive method first - do a 2 ft. x 2 ft. section test area with the FP and white pad.  Is that the correction you are looking for?  If Yes, then proceed with this combo, if No, then do another section pass.  If it still is not what you are looking for, move up to the CP and the orange pad.  Is that the correction you are looking for?  If Yes, then proceed with this combo, if No, then do another section pass.  If you are still needing more correction, consider the HCC + blue pad, or CP + MF pad. 

Best to figure this out on your test spot for each vehicle than to do the whole car and not be pleased....ask me know I know!    

1 minute ago, mc2hill said:

As the Jeep is white, is could be single stage paint (vs. base coat/clear coat).  You can test it by applying some polish with a pad/towel that is not white, and check for paint transfer.

For any of the vehicles, use the least aggressive method first - do a 2 ft. x 2 ft. section test area with the FP and white pad.  Is that the correction you are looking for?  If Yes, then proceed with this combo, if No, then do another section pass.  If it still is not what you are looking for, move up to the CP and the orange pad.  Is that the correction you are looking for?  If Yes, then proceed with this combo, if No, then do another section pass.  If you are still needing more correction, consider the HCC + blue pad, or CP + MF pad. 

Best to figure this out on your test spot for each vehicle than to do the whole car and not be pleased....ask me know I know!    

For the 2 new vehicles I intended to use the less aggressive microfiber pads.

Thanks for the info on the single stage paint - I wasn't aware of that possibility.   If the Jeep turns out to have single stage paint what steps do I take to polish it?  And wax?  Do you wax it differently?  I currently use Adam's paint sealant and Americana wax on my new cars.

thanks,

Just now, TexWalker said:

The microfiber pad is pretty aggressive, even on the porter cable. Stick with foam until you're sure you need something more aggressive. 

I misspoke.  I meant to say foam as the less aggressive.  I watched one of the videos this morning to confirm which one was less aggressive and I still misspoke.

thanks,

5 hours ago, ragin_cajuns said:

Thanks for the info on the single stage paint - I wasn't aware of that possibility.   If the Jeep turns out to have single stage paint what steps do I take to polish it?  And wax?  Do you wax it differently?  I currently use Adam's paint sealant and Americana wax on my new cars.

You will polish and protect the single stage paint the same, but know that you will get paint transfer on the pads, and it may not come out completely.

Some Jeeps did come in single stage, but I'm pretty sure an 03 will be base/clear. A good way to check is look for the data tag and then letters "BC" followed by numbers, that will be your paint code. Most of the time they are in the glove box or maybe the door jam, I can't remember on TJ's. 

3 minutes ago, Sac said:

Some Jeeps did come in single stage, but I'm pretty sure an 03 will be base/clear. A good way to check is look for the data tag and then letters "BC" followed by numbers, that will be your paint code. Most of the time they are in the glove box or maybe the door jam, I can't remember on TJ's. 

Thanks, I'll check that out tonight.

Well I corrected and polished my Jeep this weekend and wow.  This Jeep hasn't probably seen any wax or protection in over 10 years so it had a lot of small scratches and the paint felt rough.  I strip washed it, clayed it, corrected it, then polished it.  It feels about as smooth as my 2016 truck which has been maintained.  Its white so it can't look all that great like other colors but man it looks great for a 2003 Jeep.

7 hours ago, ragin_cajuns said:

Well I corrected and polished my Jeep this weekend and wow.  This Jeep hasn't probably seen any wax or protection in over 10 years so it had a lot of small scratches and the paint felt rough.  I strip washed it, clayed it, corrected it, then polished it.  It feels about as smooth as my 2016 truck which has been maintained.  Its white so it can't look all that great like other colors but man it looks great for a 2003 Jeep.

:worthless:

Here are a few pics.  It was getting dark out so not the best pics and its white so its not as obvious but this jeep hasn't looked this good since it was bought I think.  It was in kinda rough shape when I bought it 1.5 years ago.  Now the paint is smooth like a new paint job.  Pretty good shine and reflection in it too.  I'm satisfied for an almost 15 yr old Jeep that has been out in the elements until I bought it.

20170109_192525.jpg

20171129_173124.jpg

20171129_173135.jpg

20171129_173155.jpg

20171129_175003.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, mc2hill said:

You will polish and protect the single stage paint the same, but know that you will get paint transfer on the pads, and it may not come out completely.

My experience with single stage paint is it will correct easier than clear coat will.