Customer Service 866.965.0400

New 6.5" Pads with Porter Cable 7424 factory 5.8" Backing Plate?

LSX Maestro

Question

Normally, PC 7424 guys had to buy a 5" backing plate from Adam's or similar to be used with the 5.5" pads.  But wondering if the factory PC 7424's 5.8" plate will work with the 6.5" pads? It should, and I think the new 21mm Swirl Killer also uses a 5.8" plate.  

Though not ideal, perhaps a 4" backing plate with 4" pads, and a set of 6.5" pads can turn the PC 7424 into an all around polisher for those just getting started, like me. 

Edited by LSX Maestro

8 answers to this question

You will be better served using the 5.5" backing plate and pads.  The 6.5" pads will work on the PC, but the 5.5" pads will correct faster.  The larger pads stall more than the smaller pads, so the work goes slower.  Adam's originally only had the larger pads for the PC, and I switched to the 5.5" pads from other vendors for the speed.  Once Adam's offered the smaller pads, I switched back to their pads.

12 hours ago, LSX Maestro said:

Makes sense. I'm really thinking I should bite the bullet and get a Rupes or Swirl killer instead of trying to make the PC work for me.  

Depending on the amount you use the machine would push me one way or othe between SK or Rupes. You can get the SK and SK mini for nearly the cost of the Rupes machine. I love the Rupes machines we have, but the Adam’s seem to be a solid deal. I haven’t had hands on experience with the SK, but reviews seem favorable. 

3 hours ago, 07stanggt said:

How about the new Adams blue, orange, white pads for a Flex 3401, will they work ? I am assuming they will.

Dan implied that in a post yesterday in the 'New Products' thread

"For those of you that have been requesting we bring back 6.5" pads, they're finally in stock and were being bagged up yesterday!"

My PC is still the workhorse for my needs. I have it setup to run 5.5", 4" and now 2". Yes it takes a little more time to change backing plates but there is still nothing wrong with it. Although I do plan on buying the SK15 or SK21 to be the main workhorse.