Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing Service

BlackCadi14

I hope this a safe question to ask, and not breaking in forum rules.

I have been cleaning my car lately and was thinking if I did this on the weekend to family and friends rides, I have bought lots of products lately for my car and its getting expensive but I thought I could offset my expenses my washing cars to cover cost.

What does a good car wash cost or do you guys charge?

Steps I would take:

1. Wash wheels and tires

2. Foam car

3. Rinse Car

4. Foam Car

5. Wash car with pad

6. Rinse car

7. Dry car (Detail Spray and Air Blower)

8. Tire Shine

9. Clean door jams

What would a job like that run???

You ask a notoriously difficult question...pricing. Pricing will vary area to area. Price structure is something that many are reluctant to discuss with other detailers. As open as we can be with each other, how we arrive at price is a seemingly guarded secret. 

It sounds like you aren’t offering detailing as much as you are a car wash service. This expectation needs to be clear when you are booking work. 

Typically I work out my pricing at a shop rate of $70-90/hour depending on the job. That covers the business, my partner and supplies. So from that, it depends on how quick you can complete the job.  Bear in mind that we do very few “washes,” as we do more full detailing, paint correction and ceramic coatings.

Keep in mind you’re going to compete with the $5-10 car wash fundraisers that happen everywhere. Most people don’t know the difference between a good wash and a bad one. 

Hopefully that helps to answer some of your questions. If you have more, feel free to ask. I’m generally pretty open about how we run our business. 

Shane, thank you, and I was worried I might step on toes. I did not want to reveal secrets. I was just trying to see if I should pursue it or not. 

Your right the 10 dollar car wash I can't beat in price but quality all day but do people really care. 

You definitely aren’t stepping on toes at all. This is the one area that people tend to be reluctant to talk about it seems. Part of the problem with discussing it is that it’s VERY market variable. By that I mean that what someone can expect to pay here can be very different from what they’ll pay in another part of the country. 

As for your “do people really care” question, it depends. Some people do. Some don’t. There’s absolutely a client education component that comes into play. You have to explain what makes you better than the fundraiser car wash or the automatic ones. Many people feel the automatic car wash is okay since it’s “touchless.” Once you get some clients to convert, keeping them is easier. I have some clients on a schedule. Every six months I can expect to see their vehicles roll through. We love this since they’re much easier to detail typically than the new client. It also gets them to understand the process and the value in returning regularly. 

Hope this helps. 

that helps a lot.  I was thinking about showing my service off to a select few customers and seeing how they feel about it and make them see the difference between me and that touchless system.  

I def like the idea of repeat customers every few months or every month, if def is easier to keep up with a car that you have done before.

I am thinking about doing my Dad's Camaro for his birthday.  I would like to give it a good wash.

1 hour ago, BlackCadi14 said:

that helps a lot.  I was thinking about showing my service off to a select few customers and seeing how they feel about it and make them see the difference between me and that touchless system.  

I def like the idea of repeat customers every few months or every month, if def is easier to keep up with a car that you have done before.

I am thinking about doing my Dad's Camaro for his birthday.  I would like to give it a good wash.

A few thoughts come to mind in your plan. You mention grabbing select customers and wanting to show them the difference between your wash and a car wash. 

That could prove difficult on a few levels. The first is that you have to show the damage done by automatic or improper technique. You can point out damage, but unless you fix their damage, the end result isn’t drastically different. Sure, the jambs are clean, tires dressed. Those things are short lived, and many people won’t take notice. It’s an uphill battle to show why your wash is better than whatever they’ve been doing. 

Also, even if you could do that you’re faced with showing them the value BEFORE you’ve turned them into a client. Once you start working for free/reduced price, you’ve shown you can and will. If you don’t value your work/time/materials, then who will?  Don’t train your clients to pay discounted rates. 

That being said, discounts have a time and place. A returning client, multiple vehicles, etc. Just don’t get into selling on price. Sell on value. The client who doesn’t see the value, isn’t one you want anyway. They’ll never be satisfied. 

You’ll also notice that I refer to clients as opposed to customers. This is part of our belief that the two are different people. A customer is a sale. Someone who buys a product or service and you won’t see or hear from them again. Clients are loyal, spread the word and your best source of consistent revenue. Just a philosophical point. Take it for what what you will. 

On 11/13/2017 at 1:33 PM, BlackCadi14 said:

I have been cleaning my car lately and was thinking if I did this on the weekend to family and friends rides, I have bought lots of products lately for my car and its getting expensive but I thought I could offset my expenses my washing cars to cover cost.

Steps I would take:

1. Wash wheels and tires

2. Foam car

3. Rinse Car

4. Foam Car

5. Wash car with pad

6. Rinse car

8. Tire Shine

9. Clean door jams

In my area I get $40.00 to start and it goes up from there. I select my clients and I also have a rule, if you never have taken good care of your care, neither will I. Most of my clients have been with me for over thirteen years and I also get many referrals from them. I also fly over to Idaho a couple times a year and have clients there too. 

Edited by ocdrifter

On 11/13/2017 at 1:33 PM, BlackCadi14 said:

Steps I would take:

1. Wash wheels and tires

2. Foam car

3. Rinse Car

4. Foam Car

5. Wash car with pad

6. Rinse car

8. Tire Shine

9. Clean door jams

I have friends ask about my detailing their cars and am open to doing so. They want more than just a wash...they want Interior vacuuming and usually at least a quick wax.  In your list I would substitute the dry car with H2O Guard & Gloss instead of detail spray & air blower. Reason is that it will give shine & protection for a month & is great for daily drivers.  That is then great selling point to your service vs a Car wash, and is not that much more of an expense on your part.  My daily driver detail starts at $100 & includes the interior vacuum. If they want interior detail (not incl carpet shampoo) then it is $150...and I will include the window sealant on the windshield. You coukd add paint Sealant as well.  Full show ready detail, which includes paint correction & ceramic coating, starts at $650. Caveat of course is must see vehicle & give estimate based on condition (black cars usually are more). Also...a lot of people are using F11 now....if they have used there is an additional fee for removal. In reality there are a number of detailers in my area who will not detail cars with F11.  Just some things to keep in mind.

Edited by Liralen