Customer Service 866.965.0400

Convertible top cleaning

Ls1transam

Question

8 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Ls1transam said:

How do you all clean convertible tops? What type of chemicals do you use if necessary? And what types of brushes? Do you use air to dry, or MF towels?

We use a few different products and tools depending upon what the top looks like. We will use everything from carpet and upholstery cleaner and a boars hair brush (rarely anything more aggressive than that brush for scrubbing). If it has a bunch of stuff on it, we will either use steam or the tornador tool (if you haven’t seen one, check them out as they’re worth every penny).  We generally blow dry vehicles we work on, so that takes care of the bulk of the water. We will start by working on the convertible top before anything else and it’s dry by the time we are done and ready to seal it up. Once we have it all cleaned up and dry we will always seal it with a fabric sealant. Raggtop makes a good one, as does CQuartz. I only mention the brands here as Adam’s doesn’t make a competing product so hopefully I didn’t violate any rules. 

To add to what Shane said, if it's a cloth top, I'll use either our Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner or Eco All Purpose Cleaner with the Cockpit Brush to scrub the area. Then rinse thoroughly with water until you're no longer seeing any foam or bubbles from the chemicals and allow to air dry or blow dry - the Master Blaster Revolution has helped me to dry the top efficiently. Do not use our Wash Pads, Wash Mitts, or plush microfiber towels to clean a cloth top - they will leave fibers everywhere that you will then have to brush again. Some of you may have seen me hint on here before that we've been testing some products for protecting fabric, but I'm not sure if/when they will be available.

If it's a vinyl type of material for the top, our blue Car Shampoo should be enough for most cleaning, but then I'll step to Eco All Purpose Cleaner if there's heavier dirt build-up. You can then protect the vinyl top with our VRT afterward. 

I agree with Shane, on my top, I've used a competitors product to clean if there is something nasty on it, like sap or bird droppings.. using a cockpit brush to work it... Lint roller to get minor dust and stuff off as maintenance and 303 fabric guard to seal it up.  Now as Dan states, if and when Adam's comes up with something.. my products will change.  :)

Edited by moons21

As an added comment.. I did try the CG top protectant and didn't like how it didn't shed water like they showed in the video.  I even applied it as directed in the vid, used 3/4 of a bottle on my Camaro and very minimal beading of water...I did allow for proper cure times between coats too... Hence I moved on to the 303 products