Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering LPS

Zach5.9CTD

Question

Hey guys. It's a warm Sunday up here in northern Iowa and I'm taking advantage of that and getting my truck prepped for snow/salt. 

What I'm wondering is does layering the LPS provide additional protection or last longer on the vehicle through the winter than just a single layer?  If so I will apply it a second time after initial application has cured. 

9 answers to this question

Just now, Zach5.9CTD said:

Hey guys. It's a warm Sunday up here in northern Iowa and I'm taking advantage of that and getting my truck prepped for snow/salt. 

What I'm wondering is does layering the LPS provide additional protection or last longer on the vehicle through the winter than just a single layer?  If so I will apply it a second time after initial application has cured. 

Hi Zach.  No, there is no benefit to adding a second coat of LPS. Once the prep is complete, LPS actually bonds with the naked paint, so a second coat offers no additional protection.  You can add a coat of wax if you like, for additional shine and some short-lived protection. The salt will remove the wax pretty efficiently.  Your best bet is to include H2O G&G with your Winter washes to add some additional protection and extend the duration of the LPS. That should get you through the Winter months.  

Nice to see another Iowan! I usually just use LPS and then layer a wax over the top to try and get the paint sealant to last the 6months or so.  This weekend, I used American wax on my truck that is paint sealed, it's been about a month since I had used Buttery Wax.  

2 hours ago, Mbrazelton said:

Nice to see another Iowan! I usually just use LPS and then layer a wax over the top to try and get the paint sealant to last the 6months or so.  This weekend, I used American wax on my truck that is paint sealed, it's been about a month since I had used Buttery Wax.  

Hey Matt. It is nice to see a fellow Iowan here. Where abouts is Kelley Iowa located and do you detail for money or just for yourself. 

12 hours ago, Mbrazelton said:

9 hours ago, Zach5.9CTD said:

Hey Matt. It is nice to see a fellow Iowan here. Where abouts is Kelley Iowa located and do you detail for money or just for yourself. 

I was really wondering what a "L"owan was... :blink: Then I looked at your locations. "I"owan. Oops. Font issues. :lolsmack:

8 hours ago, Mbrazelton said:

Just south of Ames about 7 miles.  I do some for money here and there, mostly family and friends and work people. 

Ah ok  your really just "down the road" from me. Do you ever make it to any of the coffee n cars events throughout the summer months on Saturday mornings?

9 hours ago, Zach5.9CTD said:

Ah ok  your really just "down the road" from me. Do you ever make it to any of the coffee n cars events throughout the summer months on Saturday mornings?

When I had my ZL1 I went to the Karl's ones here and there, but didn't really have time this year.  Also try to make it to the Karl's summer nights.