Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best way to wash a classic muscle car?

HAMBO

Question

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 67 Camaro SS/RS. It was restored about 5-6 years ago, and was repainted (so paint is a two stage paint). I just had it detailed recently, as the paint had been neglected quite a bit when I bought it (bunch of swirls and water marks).

While I had someone do the 'big' reset detail, I plan to do the upkeep (washing, LSPs, occasional polish, etc) myself as I do on my daily driver.

So my question is regarding what's the best way to maintenance wash a classic car? I've read in a few places to avoid 2BM or other methods that use a lot of water, since the water can end up all over the place and potentially lead to rust, and to instead only use waterless wash.

Don't get me wrong, I have Adams Waterless Wash and am a fan, but wouldn't using waterless wash as your primary maintenance wash method lead to swirls? Maybe it's worth a few swirls in order to avoid the risk of flooding the car with water and it getting into all the nooks and crannies of the car? Curious what people here think / recommend. 

Here's a pic of the car, having been freshly detailed:

38638156896_89b14879c3_b.jpg

Edited by HAMBO

6 answers to this question

I have a '64 Dart convertible. Washing was never a big issue. Avoid pressure around the tops of the windows where it meets the convertible top along with the top of the windshield. Those areas never seem to seal super well. The rest of the car should be totally fine to spray down, suds up and rinse. 

And I would do a rinseless wash over a waterless wash. I have both, but the rinseless is way better. I do my daily driver weekly with rinseless without any issues

Edited by TexWalker

I use the 2BM on my '68 Firebird.  Using 1 bucket or 10 isn't gonna dictate how much water you put on the vehicle. My Firebird doesn't get that dirty to the point where I need to use a lot of water, most time rinsing if off takes care of 90% of the dirt.  The foam cannon does a great job as well.

image.jpeg

I've washed a few old truck & can tell you water does seem to find its way in all the nooks & can be a pain to get totally dry if that's your concern. That being said, i would suggest an investment in some good air drying tools. Also, look into the Rinseless Wash method. I use it pretty often when it doesn't need a full wash but little too dirty for a Waterless spray.  

On 11/28/2017 at 1:56 AM, HAMBO said:

So my question is regarding what's the best way to maintenance wash a classic car? I've read in a few places to avoid 2BM or other methods that use a lot of water, since the water can end up all over the place and potentially lead to rust, and to instead only use waterless wash.

I use Adam's Rinseless Wash on older cars (from muscles cars to pre war/brass cars).  I am concerned about having too much water on the car, and it potentially becoming trapped and causing rust.  I have added 2-3 oz of APC to the Waterless wash bucket if a 'strip' wash was needed. 

If the cars are not too dirty, you may want to consider the 'bucket of towels' method.  Mix the Rinseless at wash strength and place several quality towels in the bucket.  Fold the towel in fours, and clean a small section, then using a clean 'side' of the towel, clean a different section.  Once the towel has been fully used, grab a clean towel from the bucket and continue cleaning.  I like to wring one of the towels out, and do a 'damp' wipe of the cleaned section, then spritz with Detail Spray, and wipe dry with a Waterless Wash towel.  Just be careful not to clean too large an area with each towel 'quarter'.  

I have a 'quick' clean session using this method scheduled for a 1912 race car on Saturday. 

I have several classic cars; I wash them just like I do my normal cars save for a few extra precautions.  

Don't spray water in cracks and crevices if you can avoid it

Don't spray water near the convertible top/window gaps/door lines etc.

Be extra careful when washing near little pieces of chrome trim or ornaments that can move/break/fall off

Use Rinseless when you can, but if the car is too dirty than you'll want a bucket wash

Don't use a pressure washer (That's IMO)

Car is gorgeous, one of my favorite classics, may have to restore one myself some day.